• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

intake bolt holes rounded out?

volcanocar

Reaction score
I have a torker2 intake that I bought at the swap meet, unfortunately I did not inspect it thoroughly enough.
I just noticed that the holes where the bolts would go through have been rounded out (obviously to help when someone was attempting to line bolt holes up to the head)

how do I know if this thing will line up port to port properly? how do I go about gasket matching it if I am unsure where the gasket may actually end up lining up at?

I did not anticipate this problem lol, any advise you guys may have would be appreciated

volcanocar

Reaction score
oh sorry its a 440 that the intake is for. I will get a picture in a few minutes when I get home

volcanocar

Reaction score
KIMG0197.jpg

KIMG0197.jpg

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I would think it might be risky to use it but I guess if you're careful enough about it you could make it work. I'd get 4 studs and put one in each corner and when you think you got it where it needs to be turn some nuts on them snug. Install the bolts in the other holes a little tighter and then replace the nuts and studs with the other 4 bolts and torque everything to spec. Or I would probably try to find one that hasn't been modified so I would never have to worry about it.

aussiemark

Reaction score
When you remove your original manifold turn it upside down and scribe a line across the top and bottom of the ports then measure the distance from the line to the top and bottom of the original untouched bolt holes this will tell you where they should be and you will know where the bolt has to go, if the hole was enlarged at the top place the bolt at the bottom of the hole or vice versa. Alternatively place a intake gasket so all the manifold ports match on the modified manifold and you will see where the material was removed and were the bolts should be.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I would say you should be fine. Most likely someone had milled heads and did not mill the manifold to match. Good for you as long as your heads and block deck are stock. If this is the case, your bolts will sit at the top of the holes where they were not elongated. If it is a major concern, the holes can be drilled out and sleaved. The labor costs would make it cheaper to buy a new manifold.

volcanocar

Reaction score
yeah the intake I have is an old rv intake manifold from 78 lol. but yeah... it should match up I will see how the bolt holes and the and ports line up between the 2 of them.

moper

Reaction score
If the intake fits the engine properly, you shouldn't have to worry. You can also check alignment before you tighten it down with a small inspection mirror and pen light. That's usually how I do it on an open plenum single plane intake.

Back