• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Is Carlisle the biggest show and swap meet in the us?

Cudachuck

Reaction score
Wondering if there is a mopar show comparable to the mopar show in Carlisle PA?

tonysrt

Reaction score
At one time back in the mid 80's the Mopar nats in Ohio was the biggest. Then Carlisle happened and although I no longer go the Nats, Carlisle has grown and has been on the decline in recent years. Mancini no longer goes and some of the other big vendors have also passed on attendance. I've been to a Fl. and Tn. meet and none to compare to Carlisle. I intend to get to the Holley meet in Bowling Green Ky. because it opens up another area for parts we haven't seen before, also my Daughter lives in Lex. Ky. which is a time zone away and a few hundred miles.

BriceRoad

Reaction score
I agree with the above. The Nats (as they call it now) still has a pretty good size swap meet. I would say it's about 2/3 the size of Carlisle. I go to the Nats every year. I still love the Nats even though it has declined in the last 5 years or so. Carlisle is also a great show but no night life. I like seeing cars and Mopar fans everywhere in Ohio. I stay in Heath and that's how it is there.

tonysrt

Reaction score
Years ago Brice road was the local dragstrip for people attending the Nats in Ohio and the place to be for night life. I stopped going for a few years and Brice road was totally reconfigured so that it eliminated the street racing.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
@Cudachuck Here are my pictures from 2020. There are other posts on fcbo and ebodies.org.

And here is my 2019 trip. With help from others

Just thought I would share since you asked about the show.

Ele115

Reaction score
The big shows and swap meets these days bring less people form sure. Still, Carlisle is worth going to. I don't think nearly as many common middle class people are taking old cars apart as before. Now you have big Classic Car factories that cobble together 20 muscle cars a month and sell them on FeeBay or at Mecum to people that never even look underneath them. There are a lot more aftermarket parts available from catalogs too. Kind of sad. The swap meets are a good place to make new friends and see old ones. We are a dying breed.

69bfan

FEBO Vendor
FEBO Vendor
Reaction score
Although Carlisle and The Nats are both Mopar venues, they differ in a number of ways. Both shows are well worth the visit if it is only a once in a lifetime deal. None of the regional shows can compare to the size of Carlisle or The Nats. As mentioned, when The Nats was booming, it was huge. The social and night life away from the event was a site within itself.

Personally, I feel that Carlisle offers a better opportunity to finding nice used or NOS parts. The Carlisle crowd seems more into the original parts and restorations. The Nats crowd is more into the driving or social aspect of the cars. The Nats has onsite drag racing throughout the weekend and is a large draw for the event.

It is surprising how many people will only attend one of the events, even if they are equal distance between the two events. The Carlisle organization is top notch and works to keep you wanting to come back. The Nats is more of a free for all once you get onto the property. Carlisle is in place to run as a car show venue running 7 to 10 events each year at the location. The facility offers relatively decent eating opportunities and other support functions. The Nats is operating on basically a weekend drag strip, so food, restrooms and other options are lacking.

Carlisle has evolved into pulling in a wide variety of cars. You will be able to see highly restored cars of all years and makes and still the daily drivers are still welcomed. The Nats quality of show cars has diminished over the years. But The Nats does offer show car judging, while Carlisle basically offers participant popular choice awards.

With that said, we vend at both events. Hopefully, people will come out and support the shows. Without them, then the hobby will loose out and the chance to further grow the hobby.

The Bowling Green event has the chance to surpass The Nats rather quickly and could start impacting Carlisle in the years to come. They have the marketing experience in place, they have a nice budget, the facility is well laid out and offers a number of different activities throughout the weekend.

So no matter what your choice, get out and support the different events.

Cudachuck

Reaction score
Although Carlisle and The Nats are both Mopar venues, they differ in a number of ways. Both shows are well worth the visit if it is only a once in a lifetime deal. None of the regional shows can compare to the size of Carlisle or The Nats. As mentioned, when The Nats was booming, it was huge. The social and night life away from the event was a site within itself.

Personally, I feel that Carlisle offers a better opportunity to finding nice used or NOS parts. The Carlisle crowd seems more into the original parts and restorations. The Nats crowd is more into the driving or social aspect of the cars. The Nats has onsite drag racing throughout the weekend and is a large draw for the event.

It is surprising how many people will only attend one of the events, even if they are equal distance between the two events. The Carlisle organization is top notch and works to keep you wanting to come back. The Nats is more of a free for all once you get onto the property. Carlisle is in place to run as a car show venue running 7 to 10 events each year at the location. The facility offers relatively decent eating opportunities and other support functions. The Nats is operating on basically a weekend drag strip, so food, restrooms and other options are lacking.

Carlisle has evolved into pulling in a wide variety of cars. You will be able to see highly restored cars of all years and makes and still the daily drivers are still welcomed. The Nats quality of show cars has diminished over the years. But The Nats does offer show car judging, while Carlisle basically offers participant popular choice awards.

With that said, we vend at both events. Hopefully, people will come out and support the shows. Without them, then the hobby will loose out and the chance to further grow the hobby.

The Bowling Green event has the chance to surpass The Nats rather quickly and could start impacting Carlisle in the years to come. They have the marketing experience in place, they have a nice budget, the facility is well laid out and offers a number of different activities throughout the weekend.

So no matter what your choice, get out and support the different events.
I will try ..... I've been to Carlisle before I used to live in NJ but I've been out in AZ for the last 10 years and was wondering if there was anything like the Carlisle show out here

Adam

Reaction score
Not Mopar specific, but the SEMA show in Vegas is a must go event... if you can qualify. Lots of tools there too. I learned to Tig weld there at the Lincoln booth and bought a Hobart machine.

69bfan

FEBO Vendor
FEBO Vendor
Reaction score
The Bowling Green show has a good size drag racing schedule. The turnout for the first year of the event with Covid restrictions still in place brought a good field of cars to the event. The drag racing was probably the biggest draw for the event. The Bowling Green facility host a NHRA regional event and has drawn over 600 cars in the past. Due to the centralized location, the event was drawing cars from areas that Columbus or Carlisle does not reach. The small track down from Carlisle is more of a grudge match event for the Chrysler weekend. Knowing that Holley and it's family of performance parts vendors are into drag racing and street performance, they are putting the money into the event to pull these customers into the event. This past year at the event, the manufacturers midway looked an NHRA event with all of the performance vendors support trailers parked end to end.

As I stated in my previous post, the Bowling Green event will be the "New" Nats and start to eating into the Carlisle for those who are more into the performance and racing aspect of the Mopar world. Take a look at the LS events that Holley puts on, they are now doing an East and West Coast version of those events due to the popularity and size of them. I doubt that the Mopar hobby would support two different events, but you get an indication of where Holley is taking these events too.

boydsdodge

Reaction score
I will try ..... I've been to Carlisle before I used to live in NJ but I've been out in AZ for the last 10 years and was wondering if there was anything like the Carlisle show out here
I go out to the Chryslers west show at Woodley park, Burbank/ Los Angeles. Not as big but a great week out west, I start with the Thursday track day at Willow springs about 2 hrs north of LA. That is a great time with great guys each year. Then if you want a good cruise on Friday morning there is a cruise organized by the car club that takes you through the mountains for great scenery, that ends up in Malibu for late lunch. Then we go to the Picture car warehouse meet and greet, ( Picture car warehouse has since moved and I don't know if they will host party at new site.) Also that Friday night is Bob's burgers cruise in Taluca lake and one at the Northridge location.(I really like the Burbank/Taluca lake Bobs)
Then up early for the Woodley ave park, for car show and swap meet. I have been going for 16 years now. Wow.

Attachments

• IMG_6344.JPG
    IMG_6344.JPG
    431.4 KB · Views: 138
  • fullsizeoutput_1190.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1190.jpeg
    646.9 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_2778.JPG
    IMG_2778.JPG
    494.5 KB · Views: 138

Wizard

Reaction score
Does the bowling green event have participant drag racing?
I feel that is the only thing lacking at Carlisle.
If anyone needs to leave parts that they bought at show and don't feel like carrying them through the show you are welcome to leave them at my 7 spots while your walking the show and come back to pick up whenever you want. I will be there till the end Sunday. My spots are O-74 thru O-79 and on the backside of those spots. I am right up from Legendary Auto Interiors in from Gate 1 about 180 yards on the left.

If anyone needs any E-body parts let me know. I have doors, 1 or 2 fenders, deck lid, hoods, etc...

Also, don't forget about the drag racing Friday July 9th at South Mountain Raceway which is about 10 miles from the fairgrounds and they have a bus shuttle there also that takes u there case u dont want to drive. Posting the ads here.

Wizard

Attachments

• Mtn ad.jpg
    Mtn ad.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 140
  • Mtn Bracket.jpg
    Mtn Bracket.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 131
  • Mtn Sunday.jpg
    Mtn Sunday.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 134

moparlee

Reaction score
If anyone needs to leave parts that they bought at show and don't feel like carrying them through the show you are welcome to leave them at my 7 spots while your walking the show and come back to pick up whenever you want. I will be there till the end Sunday. My spots are O-74 thru O-79 and on the backside of those spots. I am right up from Legendary Auto Interiors in from Gate 1 about 180 yards on the left.

If anyone needs any E-body parts let me know. I have doors, 1 or 2 fenders, deck lid, hoods, etc...

Also, don't forget about the drag racing Friday July 9th at South Mountain Raceway which is about 10 miles from the fairgrounds and they have a bus shuttle there also that takes u there case u dont want to drive. Posting the ads here.

Wizard
Just curious, are you associated with 69bfan as this is the exact same thing he posted a little while ago?

Wizard

Reaction score
Just curious, are you associated with 69bfan as this is the exact same thing he posted a little while ago?
No association with 69 bfan. Also there is Williams Grove dirt track racing every Friday night. Here is schedule for this friday. also you have Port Royal and susquehanna dirt track racing believe they are on Sat nights. Williams grove about 10 miles away from Carlisle fairgrounds.

9-Jul 7:30 Fan Appreciation Night
410 Sprints & United Racing Club/EMMR Photo Shoot
Free entry to the front pits for General Admission ticket holders before the races!

Williams Grove Speedway

Williams Grove phone number is
RACING EVERY WEEKEND
RT. 15 South - Mechanicsburg
(717) 697-5000
Williams Grove Speedway

Back