• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Drive wheels spinning in Park

rstockbridge

Reaction score
I have a 1970 Barracuda with auto console shift. I removed the shift linkage where it connects to the steering column when I had to replace the gasket in my exhaust manifold. Once the linkage was re-installed, it was difficult to shift into park but I was able to get it done. However, when starting the car in park the tires roll both in forward and reverse. I removed the shift linkage from the selector lever on the transmission and moved the selector lever all the way to the rear of the car (Park), started the car and noticed the wheels spinning again. Can someone explain what's going on please?

Last edited:

Xcudame

Reaction score
The Mopar park linkage is very beefy stuff! And the shift linkage is all metal levers and rods (no cable crap like GM unless it's after market). Do you have any photos?

rstockbridge

Reaction score
Wheels are off the ground. The car drove fine until we removed the old radiator (some ATF came out but was replaced), installed a new one, and removed manifolds to install new gasket.

Shift Linkage to Selector Lever.jpg

Selector Lever to Column Lock Rear Rod.jpg

Column Lock Front Rod to Steering Column.jpg

Xcudame

Reaction score
Off the ground, spinning it's normal. You should be able to easily spot the spinning with a gloved hand.

Xcudame

Reaction score
If it's in "Park" and on jacks (a lift), it's got nothing but a little fluid in the torque convertor causing the wheels to spin. There's very little power there.

Back