• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

location of neutral safety switch on 72 cuda.

mistreta

Reaction score
I have a 72 cuda, small block, floor shift auto, 518 trans. Sometime I need to use neutral to start the car, sometimes park will work. Do I need to change the switch, where is it located, something I could do?

Thanks
Tony In Michigan

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
It might work with just a slight adjustment , here is a picture showing the NSS just behind the shift lever , yours will have 3 pins on it , be warned if you remove it 2-3 qts of oil will come out

727_shifter_detail.JPG

mistreta

Reaction score
adjustment is on the trans, or in the linkage on shifter? I need to get the car on stands?

Thanks for the input

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Sorry the linkage adjustment is near the shift lever , just shortening that 1/32 of an inc might be enough to get it to stat in park everytime

mistreta

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I have a quick jack, that will make it a little easier.

chargerdon

Reaction score
I had an a904 in my car and now an A518. The car will sit for sometimes maybe a week or more before trying to start it and I have had on occasion the same issue. HOWEVER, when i have that issue i find that It will either turn over in Neutral AND then if i go back to Park it will work there also. My conclusion is that is has nothing to do with adjustment, but, rather somehow the transmission fluid at the Neutral Safety Switch will have stopped the ground circuit from completing. In other words nothing to do with "adjustment".

Inside the transmission there is what is known as a 'Rooster Comb' and on that Comb at the park and neutral positions there are metal "tangs" that the center tip of the Neutral Safety Switch makes contact and completes the "ground" circuit wire (middle wire on the 3 pins of the switch) which then goes to the starter relay. It is my belief that when the car sits for over a week, somehow there is an electrical impedance built up at the Park Tang that prevents the ground circuit from making contact. Hence no starter. Merely pulling it back to neutral then back to park refreshes the connection and then it works.

mistreta

Reaction score
Interesting, I will pay attention to when the issue happens.
Thank you for your input.

Back