• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Looking for a torque converter recommendation.... There's a story inside.

Qtip

Reaction score
So I call Holley to get a torque converter recommendation (Hay's) since all these companies rate their TC's differently. Guy on the phone takes my motor specs and puts me on hold. 20 minutes later he comes back and tells me that both him and his team lead checked and that they don't sell any torque converters for the TF 904 transmission. I'm like uh....I've got a list of part numbers here right off your website bub. I proceed to give him some of the numbers I was looking at (I'm only looking for a stall recommendation for their products for my setup). He looks up the numbers I gave him and by golly there they are. So now I'm on hold again waiting for a recommendation....

So in summary, they tell me they don't sell a TC for my car, now they think I'm gonna trust them on a recommendation for a product they didn't even know they sold? I'm flabbergasted.

With that being said...Can anyone maybe point me in a direction here? I'm looking for about a 3000rpm stall. 72 Cuda...I'll be running a 360 stroked to 408, factory heads with 2.02/1.6 valves, TTI step headers to TTI header back exhaust, single plane intake mani. Motor should be about 450hp/450tq, 10.5:1 compression, RPM range 2800-5800ish, not 100% sure on cam but nothing crazy. Car will be street driven only. Currently has 3.23 gears but may go to 3.55, 27" rear tire.

If anyone has built something similar and has any recommendations or what to stay away from, I'm all ears.

So far I've considered the Hay's 97-3B32F, Hay's 97-3B28Q, and the Hughes 27-30 or 27-35.
Talk to Kenny at Performance Torque Converters, in Louisiana. Mopar Guy, been doing them from scratch, forever, once you have your combo together. Just did one for my AAR, perfect. Faster than I expected, and the price comparatively, was very good compared to more of the " big names". Also, he is approachable if you have any questions after the transaction.

73 Wip

Reaction score
If you haven't found one yet check out PTC, they build them to your specs, fair price great service talk to Tim Owens.

JKCuda

Reaction score
This is a bizarre engine builder in my opinion. He should be asking what you want from the car once finished so he can build the engine to match your driving style.

For instance, if he knows you want a stop light race car with a choppy idle, he then builds the engine to suit this and he should have a pretty good idea what sort of gear ratio and stall speed will work with your new engine. He then chooses what the best cam will be along with heads, compression ratio, intake, carb and so on.

From there, you talk to a tech at a reputable torque converter place and with all your specs, they help you select the best converter. They even ask things like vehicle weight, tire size and rear gear ratio.
Agreed. I have everything locked down except cam and torque converter. He for some reason wants me to get the TC first so he can do a custom cam to that, which is completely backwards from what every vendor and person I've talked to has said. It's a little irritating to be honest because I feel like it's holding up my build. He doesn't want to do the cam without knowing the TC, no one wants to recommend or build a TC without knowing the cam. I'm stuck and getting kind of pissed off TBH.

JKCuda

Reaction score
Talk to Kenny at Performance Torque Converters, in Louisiana. Mopar Guy, been doing them from scratch, forever, once you have your combo together. Just did one for my AAR, perfect. Faster than I expected, and the price comparatively, was very good compared to more of the " big names". Also, he is approachable if you have any questions after the transaction.

If you haven't found one yet check out PTC, they build them to your specs, fair price great service talk to Tim Owens.
Yeah I keep hearing about PTC. I'll give them a holler. Thanks.

Raycuda

Reaction score
Dynamic Converters are really good. They asked alot of questions but ultimately must know what they are doing. I got a 3800 stall and it can easily be driven around town all day long. They are expensive but you definitely get what you pay for.
What MerilinsMopars said. I have a 3800 stall Dynamic converter in a Foxbody Mustang that I bracket race. Car is completely streetable and that's with 4:10's and an OD transmission.

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
I have had 3 PTC's in 3 different cars. Been happy with all of them. Currently, have 2 of them still. I have his custom built 10" 3500 in my Charger and his custom built 9" 5600 nitrous converter in my Challenger. Both flash where they are supposed to have are just fine even on the street.

Back