• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

WTB Looking for small block, preferably 340 or 360. Would prefer ready to go but not necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKCuda

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
Hey all, new hear but desperately trying to connect with some other Mopar owners to find what I'm looking for. Looking for a small block for my 72 Cuda. It's a 318 car, motor was supposed to be a 340 but just pulled it and found it's a 318 from a 73 (long story, not my fault). Anyway...the motor needs rebuilt but I'm not sure I want to rebuild a 318. I'm from Mechanicsburg, PA, looking to see if anything is readily available somewhat close to me for purchase. Would prefer to go 340/360, otherwise I'd just build the 318 I guess but I'd prefer not to. Cash in hand, I'm not window shopping and I'm ready to buy.

floyd

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not mine
68B6A794-B42D-4E87-80A6-041EA8594610.jpeg

JKCuda

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I actually just talked to the guy but he didn't really seem like he knew what was in it or if any work had been done. Told me I could come check it out but don't really want to drive 2 hours to find out what's in something. Seems he just bought it from someone else and is reselling.

JKCuda

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First I would ask the seller what the crank shaft end play is.
Well, his answer to a lot of my questions seemed to be "you can come check it out" so I tend to not fresh with people who either don't know what they have or won't tell me. I'm not gonna pry information out of people because in my experience that generally means there's something there they hope you don't see.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have it right.To buy a pig in a poke can be costly if not a disaster, But then again early 340s don't fall from the sky. forged crank and the larger vales. Those things were meant to scream and they did.

Last edited:

70gtx440dana

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have a buddy with a 73 340 long block. Will need complete rebuild. PM me if you would like to get in contact with him. Joe

JKCuda

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a buddy with a 73 340 long block. Will need complete rebuild. PM me if you would like to get in contact with him. Joe
Hoping to get an earlier one with a forged crank if possible, plus looks like you're from Michigan so that's a bit far for me. But thanks!

JKCuda

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a 360 and stroke it to 408.might be easier to find.
I thought about that, budget is a slight concern when it comes to stroking it. Also...finding anything right now has proven difficult. Guy from Jersey hit me up last night about a 340 he has that will need bored to 20 over he said...just waiting on some pictures and such. If that doesn't work out, may just decide to go with the 318 so I can get the car on the road this year. I'm not building it to race, just want to have some fun in it.

TBrashears

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about that, budget is a slight concern when it comes to stroking it. Also...finding anything right now has proven difficult. Guy from Jersey hit me up last night about a 340 he has that will need bored to 20 over he said...just waiting on some pictures and such. If that doesn't work out, may just decide to go with the 318 so I can get the car on the road this year. I'm not building it to race, just want to have some fun in it.

JKCuda

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why the blank message? In any case, I decided after scouring the market I'm just going to build the 318 I have. Appreciate the folks who reached out, sourcing a 340 then building it though is just a bit outside my budget for this year.

TBrashears

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Ambridge Pa. I have a early 80's 318 that was done 12 years ago that came in my 65 Coronet.It was first run late last year when I bought the car.
I may have 100 miles on it. I'm building a 383 for the car now.
You
can hear it run,you can drive it!
I'll also be selling the tranny which was rebuilt at the same time along with the steering column for anyone else reading this.

For the motor you'll need starter,alternator,an electronic distributor,and carb. I need the carb for break in then I have efi for it.

you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back