• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Magnaflow X system

Fox Slaughter

Reaction score
We'll my car is at the shop getting the Magnaflow 3" x system installed. I know a lot of people think it's loud but on my Camaro I've run open headers and now just have SLP loudmouths bolted to the headers. Being only 26 I still like loud cars ;). So we will see when I get back. I'll post up a video.

Another reason I got it is it's stainless.

oh forgot to say it's currently a 340, the reason I went 3" is because I have a 440 laying in the garage which is going to be a 500hp/600ft lbs + build.

Last edited:

Fox Slaughter

Reaction score
Right now I am not happy because they are quiet. Supposedly they need to break in so we will see.

Here is a video. Max 2500rpm.
I had them leave the tailpipes long so I can figure out what I need for 3" dual rectangle tips.

Last edited by a moderator:

CMCE

Reaction score
I know TTI makes a set of 3" tips, but they are pricey. Pypes makes a very nice 2.5" set for less than half of that. You would have to use a 3" to 2.5" reducer, but remember even the Hemi had 2.25" tailpipes. Exhaust gases have cooled at that point, so diameter can be reduced without greatly affecting performance
Pypes - Classic Muscle Car Exhaust

Rob C

Reaction score
We'll my car is at the shop getting the Magnaflow 3" x system installed. I know a lot of people think it's loud but on my Camaro I've run open headers and now just have SLP loudmouths bolted to the headers. Being only 26 I still like loud cars ;). So we will see when I get back. I'll post up a video.

Another reason I got it is it's stainless.

oh forgot to say it's currently a 340, the reason I went 3" is because I have a 440 laying in the garage which is going to be a 500hp/600ft lbs + build.

Not being here much, I’ll assume you have headers.
A lot of the sound heard (or not in your case) is due directly to the type and length of the muffler being used.

Try a short chambered muffler for a louder sound. There is no internal packing to deaden the sound. Pypes has a pair of louder mufflers that can meet the HP/TQ demand as well as a very few others. And I say that because a lot of times, the insides of the muffler neck down in tube size or just flow poorly.

If you don’t go with the Pypes muffler, (I suggest the Race Pro’s) then I suggest the following, a Gibson MWA (Muffler With Attitude) or a Hooker Aero Chamber. (A quieter muffler) because they retain the exhaust pipe diameter on the inside. Summits regular turbo muffler also retains the pipe diameter inside. There 3 inch muffler is greater than 90db’s.

Other than the muffler and exhaust tube size, the next biggest sound creator is a good bit of compression with a cam to accent the sound. The cam itself doesn’t create sound but orchestrates.

IMO, necking down tube size is crazy, I don’t care what iconic monster engine had or did.

VOETOM

Reaction score
I know it is an old post but wanted to add that today's packed mufflers really do not break in unless they get oil soaked. The st. st. sock around the tubes tend to protect the gas/ceramic acoustic filling material so sound level and tone changes over a lifetime are minimal.
Tom Hand

Jjride426

Reaction score
Got the same Magnaflow SS X Pipe system on my challenger. Very nice!

Back