• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

MMC Detroit showing fake numbers being stamped onto Alternators

340challconvert

Reaction score
Yesterday at 12:41 PM ·
"BEWARE to fake Hemi Alternators. We had a post on this subject a last year. Someone in Calf. is stamping incorrect alternators and passing them off as originals. This company is not evening using the proper front and or rear case. They have the incorrect casting number on it. People are paying as much as $1000.00 for junk. I keep seeing these on vehicles that we have been validating."
52696116_1225855137579787_1291396279636590592_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.jpg

Dino2 (1).gif

Grady Cain

Reaction score
This is absolutely correct. I had a long phone conversation with David Wise on this subject when I was looking for the proper alternator for my T/A. The company in question sells a lot on Ebay and I had started looking at their alternators and called them to ask questions. They asked me what date code window I was looking for (the date code window for the T/A alternators is very specific.) They told me they would check their supply and get back to me. Mind you, this is one of those parts that I consider "unobtanium" but miraculously in a few days, they messaged me stating that they had one. I asked for photos which they sent and it was then that I noticed the fishy stamped numbers. That's when I called David Wise who confirmed my suspicion about the sketchy stampings and told me that this company has been faking them for quite some time.

Thanks for posting this paharamia. It is unfortunate that the scammers are infiltrating not just our hobby, but seems like almost everything these days...

budascuda

Reaction score
I have a bad feeling about this...
If everybody plays it safe, we will never find out.
Just imagine accusing some big outfit of forgery!........
Oh, I don't mean forgery like the type of thing you do in a foundry.

Grady Cain

Reaction score
Oh I have no problem stating who I dealt with. I am guessing that the outfit I had the experience with is the same that is being referenced in paharamia's post but that is a guess. I will have to do some homework to try to relocate the vendor as this was 2 years ago and well you know, as you get old the memory is the first thing to go...

Grady Cain

Reaction score
I found the company I dealt with 2 years ago - bnrparts is their Ebay handle - from Van Nuys, CA. If you search Ebay for a specific part number (say 3438172) you will find "restored" units from them. Then go to their store and search "Mopar" and see what you get. Their listings usually have a few photos but on many of them, there are not pics of the area with the part number and the date code. The specific listing I was looking at back in 2017 had the proper part number but not the proper date code. In that listing they stated that there were other date codes available for that part number so I messaged them with my request. I got a call a few days later that they had found one with the dates I was looking for and it was $700. I found it kind of unusual that they just happened to have the exact date I was looking for in their possession so I asked them to send me a photo of the date code area on top and when they did, I noticed the discrepancies. This is when I emailed Dave Wise with the photos and my questions to which he called me back on the phone that day. I was in my car when he called and didn't have the sellers name handy and neither did he but he did state that it was a California outfit that he had these experiences with.

Is this the same company that Dave is referring to in paharamia's post? Are all of their "restored" units forged? That I can't state with 100% certainty but I can tell you about my experience with bnrparts as being questionable and my suspicions were confirmed by David Wise. Below are the photos I saved from the March 10, 2017 email to Dave Wise (I can't believe I found this.) These are the photos bnrparts sent me upon my request. Tell me what you think. The date stamped on the top is the date when all the alternator parts came together as one unit and assembled. It should be later than the dates stamped on the 2 halves (pie wheel) but as you can see, that is not the case. The rear case half pie wheel is not readable but the front half shows 6th (or maybe 7th - hard to tell) month of 70. The final assembly date code on top shows 2-70 or second week of 1970 which is well before the 6th or 7th month. Plus the number 2 circled in red doesn't quite look correct in it's orientation or in it's font style when compared to the other 2's cast into the top. These inconsistencies were enough to prompt Dave to call me and advise me to steer clear. His information was invaluable and our conversation led to him giving me a name of someone who was way off the Mopar grid whom he knew had a legit NOS T/A alternator. After a lengthy phone conversation with that gentleman stating the history of my car and the mission I was on to perform a "Day 1" restoration, he agreed to sell me a brand new 3438172 alternator that he bought some 40+ years prior with an 8-70 assembly code.

Again, this was my experience with this outfit. It was specifically brought to David Wise's attention and he specifically told me to steer clear of them. You be the judge...

$_12 (1).jpg
$_12 (2).jpg
$_12.jpg
Inked$_12 (2)_LI.jpg

moparlee

Reaction score
I found the company I dealt with 2 years ago - bnrparts is their Ebay handle - from Van Nuys, CA. If you search Ebay for a specific part number (say 3438172) you will find "restored" units from them. Then go to their store and search "Mopar" and see what you get. ......................

Thanks. Can't dispute anything you said or showed in your photos.

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
That is why I am not and will not ever be a numbers guy. If it fits, functions or looks good it works for me.

Mgkelly

Reaction score
Hi Grady, can you please post a picture of the numbers on the alternator you used for the build? Some are obvious fakes and some are not.
Thanks, Joe

Back