• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Modern Challenger Dash for 73 Cuda

1973CudaKJH

Reaction score
Does anyone have knowledge of or someone to contact that has installed a Modern Challenger dash in a vintage 73 Cuda or Challenger? I bought a Cleveland P&P Hellcat Engine and Manual Transmission with wiring harness, UConnect, steering wheel/Steering column, instrument cluster and A/C controls.

This is a Restomod and originality doesn't matter.

With the A/C compressor being Variable speed, if I got modern dash I could use my compressor, condensor, with the addition of dash and under dash evaportor system, making system efficient and simple. I've seen pictures of such setups but no details or with someone to discuss.

1973CudaKJH

Reaction score
Thank you for your kind suggestion, but the attached photo is of the type I was asking. Does any one have a suggestion on how to install? I saw in several videos and slides, but no contact.

Than
IMG_0918.jpg
ks a bunch for your help,

1973CudaKJH

Reaction score
Yes, I saw something similar, pretty close to what I want to do. You can do just about anything with a cutting wheel and mig/tig welder. I think I will pursue.

I have so far replaced firewall, cowl all the floors, door skins, quarter panels, tail section, with front fenders and shaker hood waiting. So far everything looks really good.

I have about $90K invested in Schwarts Chassis, Cleveland P&P Hellcat engine and Six speed manual Trans with another $10K+ from AMD Metal. Car originally cost $30K. So I got to finish. I have a trans tunnel with nice console out of 2017 HC challenger from Cleveland P&P than is next challenge to install.

Figure I need at least another $20K on Paint and Body work and hoping to get by with $15K on interior.

I did a smaller project for a 74 JEEP CJ5 with frame off restoration with AMC 360 engine that won first place in class at Houston Autorama. But this Cuda is significantly more challenging.

As JFK quoted: "We do it because it is hard, not because it is easy."

white2.JPG

tk17.JPG

tk8.JPG

gzig5

Reaction score
Ambitious project but should be super nice when done.
Looks like you are using a tinted bed liner for a sound deadener on the interior structure? That is something I have considered but haven't looked into how effective it is.

Hartman-52

Reaction score
I can't imagine the work that would take to make that type of modern dash fit. There must be a huge amount of custom fabrication of maybe fiberglass filler pieces and cutting and fitting.

pschlosser

Reaction score
mounting is one hurdle. the factory gauge cluster only has like... 12 wires going in to it. Its not all that complicated. I mean, its possible and even plausible.

I'll give this a go.

If I were doing this project, I would decide which model car and cluster is to be the donor.

Then find a donor car. You don't see many 2020+ cars in the wrecking yard, so depending on which one you choose, you may need to hunt.

Then, get a factory service manual and study the wiring diagram. Make a list of sending units and components you'll want to harvest along with the complete dash panel and wiring harness from the wrecking yard car.

Bring home all the pieces and begin trying to get the instrument cluster to fit into the restomod's dash pad. Once you can mount it nicely, you can begin wiring it in. You use the wiring harness from the donor car, and begin splicing into the restomod's harness. I would choose to solder and heat shrink most splices, to ensure a solid connection for years.

With enough time, effort and desire, this can be done. If they can bring back a balled up wrecked hemi car to show quality newness, then one can shoehorn a late-model instrument cluster into a vintage vehicle.

If we can launch a Tesla car into orbit, we can do just about anything. Even fake lunar landings.
:rofl:

Last edited:

1973CudaKJH

Reaction score
i already have the wiring harness, UCOnnect and speedometer gauge custer form the Clevleand P&P Hellcat Engine and six speed manual I bought. That was what got me going this direction.

1973CudaKJH

Reaction score
Ambitious project but should be super nice when done.
Looks like you are using a tinted bed liner for a sound deadener on the interior structure? That is something I have considered but haven't looked into how effective it is.
Lizard skin

1973CudaKJH

Reaction score
I bought a 2016 Hellcat dash frame. Have yet to try and fit. Still very interested in doing. So many issues with old dash, #1 is no AC vents around. Held hostage to paying exorbitant prices for everything. New dash cover, etc.

I have seen some more modern dashes in e-bodies. But no responses on how difficult to install.

Doors are on and test fitting new front fenders this week.

Still a ways from dash installation. i will keep informed when I get there.

Good luck

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I know a few guy that swapped dashes from different year
dodge trucks and they said they bolted right in. That might be the same case here. Demotions might be close enough that a little trimming. Maybe needed on the sides and on front or a filler. I would make a templet of both and go from there. As far as the steering column. I have seen a Viper column in a 70's challenger.

Back