• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

MOST UNUSED item ever made on 1970 Cudas

hofilbert

Reaction score
I have a real dumb question: On 1970 Barracuda/Cuda CONSOLE cars, there is a "seat belt holder" at the very rear of the console...Is that to hold the front seat belts (awkward) or the rear seat belts? I have a convertible so I tried to install the back seat belts into the holder and they looked real stupid and unbecoming when installed. It ruined the look and layout of the back seat area. They just hung out there and were shaped like a "V." I did a google search before I posted this and looked for images and I couldn't find a single one with seat belts installed. Poorest designed thing I've ever seen on a car. Does anyone make a cosmetic filler panel for 1970's? (I know later models are designed differently w/ashtray).

RJHJR

Reaction score
Front belts.
20 some years ago when my kids were little I found my rear belts still in plastic with a rubber band under the rear set.
Now they just hang over the seat a little.

hofilbert

Reaction score
HAH! LOL! I plugged in FRONT on google and low and behold I found an entire 2 photos. One pic was not a neat installation, but the other doesn't look as bad. Still it is a poor location and design. Camaros had them but were up behind the shifter, near where the seatbelt ends sit typically. OK. That solves that.

seatbelts2.jpg

DetMatt1

Reaction score
HAH! LOL! I plugged in FRONT on google and low and behold I found an entire 2 photos. One pic was not a neat installation, but the other doesn't look as bad. Still it is a poor location and design. Camaros had them but were up behind the shifter, near where the seatbelt ends sit typically. OK. That solves that.

View attachment 74815
Those belts should be orange...

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I remember seeing this car on a forum. The owner wasn't trying to be 100% correct. He has black floor mats, speaker covers, and a black defrost vent also.

AUSTA

Reaction score
Were they all orange my TA is H5K4 & the belts were black from factory

R4Sedan

Reaction score
I had an original '70 Burnt Orange Interior Challenger. Had Black Belts just like that one.

fk5aar

Reaction score
My 70 rt burnt orange interior came with orange belts

Reaction score
They are black with standard Seat belts which the pictured car has.

They are burnt orange with deluxe seat belts. They would have a button to push to release them, not lift up the whole top on a picot. You also got the dash warning light with deluxe belts.

Raycuda

Reaction score
Those "seat belt holders" are actually for the front shoulder harnesses. Yes, they are useless, because the front shoulder harnesses are useless. If you try to use them, you are strapped to the backrest of the front seat so tightly, that you can't even move to turn on the radio. They are not inertia reel belts, just a strap holding you tightly against the seatback.

Railroadrider

Reaction score
As someone who was around and old enough back at that time, MOST of us didn't use seatbelts, and the manufacturers knew it. Those slots simply made the storage neater. Frequently seatbelts were removed just because they were in the way and unsightly.

benlavigne

Reaction score
Those belts in the picture look like the deluxe (Option C15) ones, with pushbutton, and are attached to a bracket on the front of the rear seat cushion. FRont belts also had their own holders in front of each buckets, two on each side, so the pocket on the console was redundant, but the holders on the front seat are not handy to use regularely, I use the

console ones.
47350857_1200609350088268_4374829236456783872_n.jpg
1170728_10153753684961291_4659281141183179842_n.jpg

fk5aar

Reaction score
I have a pair of mint seat belt holders like that and I sent them to a gentleman who copied the size and everything on them and is supposed to be reproducing them.....the c15 option

Cuda416

Reaction score
That's funny, when I read the title of the thread, the seat belt holders in the console is exactly what came to mind.

Wilco

Reaction score
I have a real dumb question: On 1970 Barracuda/Cuda CONSOLE cars, there is a "seat belt holder" at the very rear of the console...Is that to hold the front seat belts (awkward) or the rear seat belts? I have a convertible so I tried to install the back seat belts into the holder and they looked real stupid and unbecoming when installed. It ruined the look and layout of the back seat area. They just hung out there and were shaped like a "V." I did a google search before I posted this and looked for images and I couldn't find a single one with seat belts installed. Poorest designed thing I've ever seen on a car. Does anyone make a cosmetic filler panel for 1970's? (I know later models are designed differently w/ashtray).
Did you ever find a filler panel or someone who could 3d print this?

Raycuda

Reaction score
Did you ever find a filler panel or someone who could 3d print this?
Those "seat belt holders" are actually for the front shoulder harnesses. Yes, they are useless, because the front shoulder harnesses are useless. If you try to use them, you are strapped to the backrest of the front seat so tightly, that you can't even move to turn on the radio. They are not inertia reel belts, just a strap holding you tightly against the seatback.

floyd

Reaction score
You should google “bill Edwards” and Mopar seatbelts and pay close attention to posts from 2022- present.

Back