• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

MSD Distributor Die at 25 mph

tonysrt

Reaction score
Does it die in neutral at the RPM of 25 MPH? Are you sure its the distributor? Could be weak coil or several other things. Really need more info on ignition setup.

Ele115

Reaction score
Kill what? The engine dies? It bogs? What is the diagnosis method? What was worked on last? Are any of the fuel lines getting too hot? Does it restart IF it stalls? If you are sure it's spark related and not the carbs, have you tried the module or another distributor. I am not particularly aware of MSD distributors shutting down when they reach 25 Mph, but I haven't driven every MSD equipped car there is. I think I saw one distributor fail over the years due to just needing more parts than a new one cost (age/wear). They aren't bad at all

Lime Lite 70

Reaction score
I replaced a Oil Pan , Fuel pump, and a cracked head. All grounding connections down to bare metal, all torque to spec. I started the car when still up on jack stands, it turned over a few times and the fuel came up and it fired up and ran smooth. I took it off stands rotated it 90 degrees drove it out of my shop and backed in to park. The next day I took it out for a shake down run, checked for any leaks, washed the car and was driving back home down shifted in 25 mph zone went about 100 feet the engine died. Coasted into a parking lot, checked everything and someone also stopped and we checked for spark. Had good spark to coil, pulled the dist cover and held the coil wire and installed a spark plug in the boot and had spark through the coil wire. No power to the Dist and spark plugs. reconnected the Dist cap the engine turns over and does not fire, So I think the module went bad, ordered another Dist to arrive tomorrow. Then well see what happens. The MSD is a 8386 for a 383/400 ready to run and this the second MSD that has failed me. The first was when I had my motor Dino the motor ran to cure the cam with the first set of valve springs, they installed the second set for the roll rocker and ran the motor to dino the dist died in 6 seconds. That was 7 years ago.

tonysrt

Reaction score
I've been running MSD distributor in a Hemi for 14 years with 14000 miles. Never had a problem, but never know what's around the corner.

Ele115

Reaction score
I have a few cars with MSD's in them, with no problems but those are much older. It's possible they went in the tubes like a lot of other companies and just sold their soul for a boat load of Hochiminium. Look at Remington or AC/Delco.

fasjac

Reaction score
I have once but, due to water pump leaking out of the weep hole. It just corroded the rotor though. Mine is an old (2009) 6AL box with their distributor and coil. New rotor and no issues since. Before I ran the Chrysler electronics with no issues as well.
500 stroker.

Back