• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Muffler suggestions

Zirus01

Reaction score
I currently have Dynomax turbos on my 70 Cuda which are fine but pretty tame and quiet for my liking. Any suggestions for a meaner muffler especially at idle? Its a pretty stock 383, mild cam with exhaust manifolds, 2.25 or 2.5 pipes. Just looking for a little more louder true classic muscle car sound without going with headers and 3 in pipes. Been comparing some flowmasters and Magnaflows but really hard to tell online. Curious what you all currently have or like.

Ccas

FEBO Vendor
FEBO Vendor
Reaction score
The DynoMax Super Turbo and the Pypes Turbo Pro are the quietest performance mufflers you can get. So you have plenty of ways to go for some additional sound. What size are your DM mufflers? The 18" are significantly quieter than the 14". Also, what is your inlet and outlet configuration? I would recommend some type of chambered muffler for more sound at idle. Magnaflows will be louder under acceleration but not at idle. FM will be louder in all speed ranges. Unfortunately you pickup a lot of what could be annoying drone and resonance at highway cruising speeds. I'm going to tend to think you will want something in between like the Pypes Street Pro. Great chambered sound at idle but at cruising speeds, they mellow out.

Zirus01

Reaction score
The DynoMax Super Turbo and the Pypes Turbo Pro are the quietest performance mufflers you can get. So you have plenty of ways to go for some additional sound. What size are your DM mufflers? The 18" are significantly quieter than the 14". Also, what is your inlet and outlet configuration? I would recommend some type of chambered muffler for more sound at idle. Magnaflows will be louder under acceleration but not at idle. FM will be louder in all speed ranges. Unfortunately you pickup a lot of what could be annoying drone and resonance at highway cruising speeds. I'm going to tend to think you will want something in between like the Pypes Street Pro. Great chambered sound at idle but at cruising speeds, they mellow out.
Yeah it does seem that FM would make the most noticeable difference at idle. I have an offset inlet and centered out on the DM ones and they are 14". I was looking at FM 40 series or super 40 as a possibility.

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
Thrush glasspacks' lol. That's true ole school exhaust sound. I have them on my 68 fastback with a pretty nice cam. Actually scares people sometimes. 😎

Ccas

FEBO Vendor
FEBO Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah it does seem that FM would make the most noticeable difference at idle. I have an offset inlet and centered out on the DM ones and they are 14". I was looking at FM 40 series or super 40 as a possibility.
At idle, any chambered muffler will make a very similar sound. It's all a matter of the type of driving you will be doing. If you don't do any appreciable highway driving, then you can pick almost any chambered muffler and you will be happy with the new sound.

montanamopar

Reaction score
I currently have Dynomax turbos on my 70 Cuda which are fine but pretty tame and quiet for my liking. Any suggestions for a meaner muffler especially at idle? Its a pretty stock 383, mild cam with exhaust manifolds, 2.25 or 2.5 pipes. Just looking for a little more louder true classic muscle car sound without going with headers and 3 in pipes. Been comparing some flowmasters and Magnaflows but really hard to tell online. Curious what you all currently have or like.
I have round glass pack mufflers that fit nicely under my Challenger with headers. Idle sound is awesome. Sounds mean when you get on it and they were "cheap". Love the sound, just my opinion 👌

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
I have round glass pack mufflers that fit nicely under my Challenger with headers. Idle sound is awesome. Sounds mean when you get on it and they were "cheap". Love the sound, just my opinion 👌
I have the same. 4" Dynotech Bullet mufflers on my Challenger dumped under the car. I have 3" F.M. on my Charger for 30+ years with tailpipes through factory tips and 3" F.M on my Roached Runner dumped at the axle. I also have Walker turbo mufflers on my New Yorker Brougham with turn downs to the rear bumper. Each car has it own sound and sound level.

Badfishy

Reaction score
You might consider the Dynomax Ultra Flow’s. I’ve run them on my 440 2 1/2 pipes with both the manifolds and when I changed to headers. 2 1/2 in exhaust with an H pipe first and now an X pipe. (Kinda wish I’d kept the H. More turbulence = rougher “uneven” sound out of both sides.). Straight through glass packs though. IMO that’s true classic muscle sound. They mean business.

john_wick

Reaction score
Curious what you settled on as im in the same position wanting something aggressive for my 383 build. Have you looked at borla?

Zirus01

Reaction score
Curious what you settled on as im in the same position wanting something aggressive for my 383 build. Have you looked at borla?
I went with FM super 40’s since I got a really good price on them. I like the sound better than the Dynos I had on there but if money was no object I think I would go another route. They are actually a little more tame sounding than I expected but more aggressive than what was on there.

YO7_A66

Reaction score
On my 70 Challenger, I added the Hooker Max Flows (2.5") under the rear seat and then used the Classic Chambered Exhaust #25-RES-SPE1 beside the tank with 2.5" RT tips. The idle and cruise sound is mean and the WOT is loud! I can cruise up to 70mph with no drone as a bonus.

HOKER MAX FLOW.jpg

Hooker Max Flow T.jpg

IMG_1148.JPG

Back