• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

WTB Need 1970 Challenger power steering gear box

Status
Not open for further replies.

SenseiYco

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
I have a 1970 Challenger RT with the 440 Magnum and 4 speed manual trans. My steering is really sloppy. My mechanic says I need a new steering gear box. It's the original one that came with the car (I'm the only owner). I'm hoping someone has a power steering gear box in good condition.

Mmissile had one, and I bought it. Thanks for the replies.

Last edited:

340challconvert

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If your car is all original, you can have your original rebuilt and tightened up to three possible levels.
A standard rebuilt box would generally not be a big improvement; they were sloppy and inconsistent when new. Firm Feel can build your original.

Firm Feel Steering Box Rebuilds E-Body

Keep in that your front end should also be rebuilt if you have not done so already.
There are other options from mild to wild if you wanted to upgrade to a higher level.
Dino2 (1).gif

ffi_power_steering_box_rebuild_1.jpg

Last edited:

340challconvert

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
More information on the FF box from their website;
All FFI Power Steering boxes are thoroughly cleaned and inspected; the cases are machined for roller bearing sector supports, and the worm gear assemblies are resized. The box is then fitted with Firm Feel's exclusive reaction springs, ranging in three steps from slightly firmer than the OE police box to two steps firmer yet, depending on your needs. All boxes are bench tested and shipped ready to install.

Last edited:

SenseiYco

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your car is all original, you can have your original rebuilt and tightened up to three possible levels.
A standard rebuilt box would generally not be a big improvement; they were sloppy and inconsistent when new. Firm Feel can build your original.

Firm Feel Steering Box Rebuilds E-Body

Keep in that your front end should also be rebuilt if you have not done so already.
There are other options from mild to wild if you wanted to really upgrade.
View attachment 54351

View attachment 54352
Yes, my front end has been rebuilt. Good to know about your ability to rebuild my original gear box. I just got a reply and purchased the rebuilt gear box. If that doesn't work out, I'll get back to you. Thanks.

Tim Lynch

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 1970 Challenger RT with the 440 Magnum and 4 speed manual trans. My steering is really sloppy. My mechanic says I need a new steering gear box. It's the original one that came with the car (I'm the only owner). I'm hoping someone has a power steering gear box in good condition.

Mmissile had one, and I bought it. Thanks for the replies.
Remove the box and send it to Firm feel in Vancouver WA. They will rebuild it to the level of firmness you desire, Tim

Mopar Nut

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can go with the Borgeson Mopar power steering conversion boxes, you'll need a adapter. $50 off at Summit Racing with free shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back