• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Steering - new gear box vs rack & pinion

TripleBlk70

Reaction score
Been reading through various threads on steering options here, and it seems like some people think that a good, brand new steering gear box is as good as rack & pinion in these cars.

I really want my 70 Challenger to drive and handle well, and I'm willing to put in the time and money to go either route. If a box gets me there great, but in my last build (not a mopar) I bought a brand new box and it definitely isn't as good as rack and pinion.

I'm curious to hear from some people who have done it, either way.

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
Been reading through various threads on steering options here, and it seems like some people think that a good, brand new steering gear box is as good as rack & pinion in these cars.

I really want my 70 Challenger to drive and handle well, and I'm willing to put in the time and money to go either route. If a box gets me there great, but in my last build (not a mopar) I bought a brand new box and it definitely isn't as good as rack and pinion.

I'm curious to hear from some people who have done it, either way.
A quality steering box like the Borg unit is an excellent start, but is only part of the system. You'll need to upgrade the torsion bars, control arm bushings (OE rubber is too sloppy), shocks, struts, check for balljoint & tie rod/idler arm play & replace if needed, and possibly the upper control arms (to get more caster) & alignment when all that is done. None of that is particularly difficult for you to do yourself. There is no need for rack & pinion on our old girls. Mopar did an excellent job of engineering our suspensions. Quality replacement parts will make them perform better than they came from the factory.

Xcudame

Reaction score
If you go with a Borgeson box, get a hold of Peter Bergman as he sales a setup that will allow you to use you current steering shaft without cutting it and the older non-metric Saginaw power steering pump!

BAC STEERING BOX CONVERSION KIT - SMALL SECTOR 62-72 - Bergman Auto Craft

And as Rick mentioned, upgrade your other suspension parts, dial in better camber and caster and your Challenger will steer amazingly!

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score

cuda joe

Reaction score
a sector shaft support works good it goes on the bottom of the shaft and bolts to the crossmember no flex in the box with it

TripleBlk70

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice, I'm going to do as suggested and go with the Borgeson box. I was already planning to fully rebuild the front suspension and NOT use rubber bushings, a mistake a made when I did the suspension in my 55 chevy a while back.

Two questions:

1. are there any kits out there for rebuilding the front ends in these cars? or do I need to find the parts individually?
2. any links to point me at a sector support shaft? (never heard of that)

Steve340

Reaction score
I think Firm Feel do the sector support shaft bearing and bracket. This is designed for the OE steering box unit.
Probably not required with the Borgeson unit.

cuda joe

Reaction score
I found the sector support shaft bearing and bracket on line don;t remember the companys name . also upper control arms to get more caster ;box the lower control arms; adjustable strut rods keep everything firm and c body tie rods or solid turn buckles for the stock tie rods

TripleBlk70

Reaction score
I found plenty of rebuild kits for the front end online but nothing for the sector support shaft and bearing. I saw options for other (newer) vehicles so I understand whit it does and why it's a good thing to have. I'll keep looking, if anyone is able to point me to a company that makes it for our cars I'd be grateful.

HPP

Reaction score
The sector support bearing assembly is installed to help reduce deflection of the steering box with heavy tire loads. It is designed to be installed in cars that are assembled to provide the extra support to the steering box. If your car is apart, you can reinforce the steering box mount to achieve the same results without adding the support bearing unit.

The steering box mount in these cars is actually a bit flimsy and has several straight bars with 90* intersections that will flex when you install wide tires up front.

TripleBlk70

Reaction score
Well I'm definitely in the "building" phase to I could add a support bearing, reinforce the steering box and/or do whatever would make for better driving/handling when the car is completed.

Do you have any pics or advice on how to reinforce the steering box? Of point me in a direction? Any help is appreciated.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Part of the real problem with R&P is the Mopar lower ball joint , there is no proper replacement for front steer & putting a rack where the center link is now under the oilpan doesn't help a lot so the simple solution is seems to be to alter the K frame , swap to front steer & use Mustang II / pinto parts

TripleBlk70

Reaction score
So my car is a convertible and I'm putting a 392 hemi w/8 speed transmission in it, so I will be doing things like torque boxes and subframe connectors to me the car as solid as possible.

After reading and doing some research, my plan is also to add the support bearing assembly to the steering, and add whatever boxing/strengthening I can to the k-frame prior to installing the 392.

I've been on the hunt for someone who has a website, blog or page on doing what I'm planning but so far no luck. Always better to see how others have done things and learn from their experience when possible.

Xcudame

Reaction score
I have not used their kit. But I believe it would be great. I instead have re-enforced my K frames per to old Mopar Action article which I assume Form Feel recreated.

TripleBlk70

Reaction score
I have not used their kit. But I believe it would be great. I instead have re-enforced my K frames per to old Mopar Action article which I assume Form Feel recreated.
I don't suppose you have the article?

Back