• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Need an exhaust...

shadango

Reaction score
The 74 318 currently sitting in my 72 Barracuda has stock exhaust manifolds on it and no exhaust.....she has power steering and will have an automatic (planning a 727).

I know I want headers, just not sure which ones work the best at a reasonable price. Less money the better, but I also want good performance and quality.

What do you folks run and recommend header wise? Any exhaust kits out there that wont break the bank but sound good and are well-designed for the install?

burntorange70

Reaction score
Dougs or TTI's are going to have the best fit. but are a bit pricy. TTI allso makes a good exhaust kit that fits well but again it is a little pricy. You can get a set of headers and universal exhaust kit from summit or jegs for a lot less but remember. You get what you pay for.

shadango

Reaction score
Yeah, I dont think I want to go cheap as much as I want to get the car running sooner than later.....

I dont want ground clearance issues and I dont want to have to remove the header for front end or starter work....and I want good fit. So would rather spend the bucks now I guess.

I am thinking maybe I should just hold off on the headers and get a good exhaust kit and then when I can get the better headers, adapt the system.....

Does that make sense?

shadango

Reaction score
Well, decided to bite the bullet and "do it right...do it once"....ordered the Dougs headers....

Probably going to have the local shop custom bend the rest of the system for me, using Dynomax SS mufflers.....I think...LOL I know mandrel bent is better, but I think the regular will work out fine for me....

AdamR

Reaction score
If your not going to spend the money on TTIs or Dougs I would just get a cheap set of Summit brand headers.

Summit and Jegs sell exhaust kits for under $300 with mufflers, Pypes has a stainless kit for under $400. YTTI, Torque Texh both have kits in the $600 range.

I'll be installing a Magnaflow 2.5" kit on a 71 Cuda with TTI headers in the next week or so.

shadango

Reaction score
If your not going to spend the money on TTIs or Dougs I would just get a cheap set of Summit brand headers.

Summit and Jegs sell exhaust kits for under $300 with mufflers, Pypes has a stainless kit for under $400. YTTI, Torque Texh both have kits in the $600 range.

I'll be installing a Magnaflow 2.5" kit on a 71 Cuda with TTI headers in the next week or so.

Where did you get your kit?

I would be interested to know how well the install goes......

I found a local shop that does custom bent stainless steel...he told me about $600 with magnaflow muffs....but he said that the stainless he uses will turn orange....ie rust......I guess because he uses the cheaper 409 stainless?

Do you know what grade ss Magnaflow uses?

I am a little nervous about doing my own exhaust since I have heard folks complain that some kits fit poorly.....plus not sure how the hooking up to headers is handled.

Drmktchr

Reaction score
I run the stainless Magnaflows on my car, they work good and nice sound 2 1/2 inlet and oulet they ran me 300.oo a piece Canadian. No problem with discolouration but hard to keep clean LOL Better to pay now and do it right..... than spend twice..... live and learn I did. Patience best to learn early ..... sure saves in the long run.

shadango

Reaction score
I installed my headers last night.....not too bad at all really.

Now I am wondering if I might want to just pickup a couple of purple hornies that mount to the headers, some hangars and misc pipe and put something on temporarily till I decided what way to go....

AdamR

Reaction score
I believe the Magnaflow kit is available from Summit Racing. I havent gotten around to installing it. Still working on the UniSteer rack installation. I did get the TTI headers in.

I pulled the T bars outs and they went in from underneath still wrapped in the bags and bubble wrap. No so much as a nick on the polished coating.

TRIPLEBLK

Reaction score
one other thing to consider is to replace your collector flange with a ball and socket system by mmagna flow , real nice and tight fit , no gaskets to blow out

73Challenger

Reaction score
I believe the Magnaflow kit is available from Summit Racing. I havent gotten around to installing it. Still working on the UniSteer rack installation. I did get the TTI headers in.

I pulled the T bars outs and they went in from underneath still wrapped in the bags and bubble wrap. No so much as a nick on the polished coating.

You put TTI's on a Challenger? I am getting ready to install today, any issues or heads up you might be able to give me?

AdamR

Reaction score
Ive done 2 sets of 1-7/8" TTIs on E bodies. They are easier then the small block A body headers to install.

I like to pull the T bars to make a little extra room but its not needed.

Back