• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Need help getting dash off

John Be

Reaction score
I have a 1970 Barracuda, today I've been trying to get the dash pad off w/o success so I started to take the entire dash out, I believe I have everything unscrewed and the dash is moveable but it gets hung up on the 2 bolts that hang down going to the steering column.

I've removed the steering column bracket and the column dropped a little, but the dash is still hung up on those 2 long bolts. What to do??

Reaction score
You have to remove the two studs. I've used double nuts locked together to remove the studs so the threads don't get damaged. It can be done without removing the whole steering column but it's a lot easier if the steering column is removed. There's another thread regarding this issue if you look through the last couple of days of posts

quapman

Reaction score
It can be done without removing the steering column studs. This is much easier with two people.

Make sure the steering column is at its lowest point, maybe even take the wheel off, definitely unbolt the column mount at the firewall.

Don't forget to remove the wiring harness bulkhead from the firewall and the vent and/or a/c cables. Also, the e-brake wire, heater box wires and door jamb switch wires.

Tilt the dash assembly away from the windshield.

Remove the left door jamb bolt.

Lower the dash to clear the studs

Pull it off the right door jamb bolt.

John Be

Reaction score
I think my problem is that I'm trying to bench press it off. Instead I've read a few comments that to keep the door jamb bolts on and tilt it.
Good instructions quapman!! I did not undo the harness at the bulkhead, thinking they had more slack to get to after I freed the dash frame, but now I see your point and will attempt it later today.
Thank you!

Reaction score
Quapman's post is obviously another good option to remove the dash. In my opinion that will let you get the dash out just as easily as removing the two studs. When it comes time to reinstall I think it's easier with the studs out, just slide the dash onto the door jamb bolts and tilt it back into position. Everyone has their on way of doing things, we're all just trying to help each other!

challenger6pak

Reaction score
After doing this well over 100 time, no exageration, I don't know why anyone would leave the column in while taking the dash out. I find it saves time over wrestling with the dash and most likely damaging parts.

John Be

Reaction score
This is my first Mopar and first time doing this on this particular car. I guess we all have to start somewhere.
I did loosen the column from the frame but still have it attached to the firewall. Are you saying to unbolt it from there as well?

TC_Cuda

Reaction score
I learned the hard way....so I would take the steering column completely out of the car. It will take less than an hour to get it out and give you so much more room to work, and it will save you frustration and possibly even broken parts.

just my 2 cents

quapman

Reaction score
Yes, at the very least, unbolt the column from the firewall so that it drops to its lowest point. Removing it altogether (and the seats & console for that matter) will definitely make it easier.

A second set of hands is awesome as well.

Removing the column studs helps too, but I'm gun shy on this having had them strip and/or breaking off the weld-nuts on previous attempts.

Back