• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Need help with registering a Restomod in California

SFEbody

Reaction score
Ok fellow Mopar friends. I have a huge problem that I am sure some of you in California have experienced. I have a 70 Barracuda that I did a Restomod with. It was bought from a Texas owner and I am in CA. I finished it late last year, took it to the DMV to have it VIN verified. Have the VIN plate on dash, Fender tag, Core support partial VIN but no Federal sticker on teh drivers door. Because of the no federal sticker, they referred me to the CA Highway patrol to have an inspection. I received a replacement door sticker and installed it, I went to CHP and the officer said because I have a late model drive train, I now have to go to the BAR/ Bureau of Automotive repair to have a referee inspect it for SMOG and ODBII information. They tell me I have to have the drive train and exhaust exactly like the 2017 Charger that it came out of including the 2 Catalic convertors, the dash with the engine lights etc.... SO ? Who can help me get this across the finish line to be able to drive it... any help would be so appreciated. Brian

Last edited:

rklein71

Reaction score
Look up how to register the car in Vermont. They have very lax requirements, and you don't have to be a Vermont resident. Once you have the title in hand, you can transfer it to CA.

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
I have breakfast once a week with one of my best friends that just retired CHP and his boss, both huge car guys. I'll ask them and get back to you.

Xcudame

Reaction score
That's why I left Prickafornia (Sally Fields name for California from the movie Where the Heart Is!) years ago and moved to the desert in Arizona! Too many stupid laws and rules. Best of luck! By the way, in my experience, most of your California High Patrols are decent and car guys or gals. Although that may have changed since I left!

Adam

Reaction score
Ok fellow Mopar friends. I have a huge problem that I am sure some of you in California have experienced. I have a 70 Barracuda that I did a Restomod with. It was bought from a Texas owner and I am in CA. I finished it late last year, took it to the DMV to have it VIN verified. Have the VIN plate on dash, Fender tag, Core support partial VIN but no Federal sticker on teh drivers door. Because of the no federal sticker, they referred me to the CA Highway patrol to have an inspection. I went there and the officer said because I have a late model drive train, I now have to go to the BAR/ Bureau of Automotive repair to have a referee inspect it for SMOG and ODBII information. They tell me I have to have the drive train and exhaust exactly like the 2017 Charger that it came out of including the 2 Catalic convertors, the dash with the engine lights etc.... SO ? Who can help me get this across the finish line to be able to drive it... any help would be so appreciated. Brian
Well, I believe that is only required for a “special construction” like building a new car from a Dynacorn body, but things may have changed since I left Ca in 2017. I will look around and see what I can find.

Last edited:

Adam

Reaction score

Click on the above link and look at section 4001.1. and scroll down to (d)(6) & (g) (1)(2)(3). After reviewing these sections call the same vin officer, politely ask for a minute of his time, and to review the sections to determine if your car is exempt. Tell him this section was brought to your attention by a retired auto theft detective lieutenant, who is also a gear head.

From my understanding your car IS exempt from modern emission standards because the requirement is based on the year of the car, NOT the drivetrain.

I went through a similar snag with my 1948 Power Wagon. They believed the truck was a 49, but was actually a 48 (their error). They wanted a vin verification and weight certificate, which I couldn’t do because the truck was not drivable at the time. The DMV was quite insistent but admitted they were wrong when I showed them their own code exempting my truck, and other docs showing it was a 48.

Good luck.

Last edited:

SFEbody

Reaction score
I have breakfast once a week with one of my best friends that just retired CHP and his boss, both huge car guys. I'll ask them and get back to you.
Thanks John

Click on the above link and look at section 4001.1. and scroll down to (d)(6) & (g) (1)(2)(3). After reviewing these sections call the same vin officer, politely ask for a minute of his time, and to review the sections to determine if your car is exempt. Tell him this section was brought to your attention by a retired auto theft detective lieutenant, who is also a gear head.

From my understanding your car IS exempt from modern emission standards because the requirement is based on the year of the car, NOT the drivetrain.

I went through a similar snag with my 1948 Power Wagon. They believed the truck was a 49, but was actually a 48 (their error). They wanted a vin verification and weight certificate, which I couldn’t do because the truck was not drivable at the time. The DMV was quite insistent but admitted they were wrong when I showed them their own code exempting my truck, and other docs showing it was a 48.

Good luck.
thanks Adam, I will check it out

SFEbody

Reaction score
Good news, with a little help from my friend, I got to another CHP this week and bingo bongo its street legal. Thanks Mark, could not have done it without you

SFEbody

Reaction score
Ok fellow Mopar friends. I have a huge problem that I am sure some of you in California have experienced. I have a 70 Barracuda that I did a Restomod with. It was bought from a Texas owner and I am in CA. I finished it late last year, took it to the DMV to have it VIN verified. Have the VIN plate on dash, Fender tag, Core support partial VIN but no Federal sticker on teh drivers door. Because of the no federal sticker, they referred me to the CA Highway patrol to have an inspection. I received a replacement door sticker and installed it, I went to CHP and the officer said because I have a late model drive train, I now have to go to the BAR/ Bureau of Automotive repair to have a referee inspect it for SMOG and ODBII information. They tell me I have to have the drive train and exhaust exactly like the 2017 Charger that it came out of including the 2 Catalic convertors, the dash with the engine lights etc.... SO ? Who can help me get this across the finish line to be able to drive it... any help would be so appreciated. Brian
Good news, with a little help from my friend, I got to another CHP this week and bingo bongo its street legal. Thanks Mark, could not have done it without you

Back