• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Need information on replacement of radiator support on Challenger

vtails

Reaction score
Looking for the procedure on changing the radiator support on a 1971 Challenger. It appears the fenders need to come off and what all is welded? Are the spot welds just drilled out or is there continous welds in the blind areas such as under the fenders or the bumper brackets that will be an issue?

What is the process for reinstalling a new support?

Thanks folks.

vtails

Reaction score
Radiator support

Hi Challenger6pak,
Aquaintence was installing 360 motor w/ trans and chain or cable snapped over support. Twisted and bent crossbar and pulled verticle supports inward. I have not seen this and has asked me for information.
seems radiator support work are my nightmares lately.

Adam

Reaction score
1. Take off the front fenders, valance etc. and assess what you need; do you need inner fenders as well, how far were they pulled in? The driver's side inner fender is usually rotted out by the battery anyway, so I wouldn't put too much effort into saving it.
2. Get the replacement pieces first (core support and inner fenders). I like AMD.
3. Get 2 or 3 quality (American made) spot weld cutters, chinese are junk..
4. Take pictures of the way the pieces fit together.
5. Drill out the spot welds thru the top layer only, then separate the panels with a small chisel.
6. Mock up the replacement panels with clamps and drill 5/16 holes where you want the spot welds (plug welds) to be. Unless you have a quality spot welder. Disassemble and clean the areas to be Mig welded.
7. Reassemble the pieces, clamp them down and triple check any measurements you need to make, e.g squareness, core support is vertical, etc.
8. Plug weld up the holes to resemble spot welds (you can dress them with a 4 in grinder and flap disc after).

Now would be a good time to upgrade to a 26 in core support if you don't already have it.. Also the bottom of the core support is a separate piece that you may not need unless it was damaged or is for a smaller core support. There are only spot welds holding it all together. Im sure I have forgotten something but this is the general procedure and is not too hard of a job (compared to replacing a firewall).

Good luck!

DSC00227.jpg

DSC00227.jpg

Last edited:

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Wow. Unfortunate accident. AMD does have the best non original or non factory parts.

vtails

Reaction score
Radiator support repair

Thanks folks for the information. I helped him pull the fenders and looked at the damage. It appears the inner fenders are not wrinkled as believed. The left panel is damaged as is the top support rail. It appears the welds and structure are much tougher than first believed. The inner fenders are scratched but not damaged.

He has a 22" radiator in it now. He has a feiend with a good top rail and two side panels from a 26" radiator and has offered them to him for a case of beer. If we were to install the top rail and side panels will this work? Is there a differnce in the bottom support between a 26" and his 22". It would be nice to not remove more than necessary and keep the dimensions as original.

The only thing good about this is I was looking to upgrage from a 19" to a 26" and now I will have some experience. I do have a commercial spot welder as well as a MIG set up so we are 1/2 way there.
Thanks Adam for the efforts you once again have afforded us individuals who have not gone this far previously. A lot of labor and a little brain work but we will proceed with your recommendations.
Thanks again to all that have offered their knowledge.

1. Take off the front fenders, valance etc. and assess what you need; do you need inner fenders as well, how far were they pulled in? The driver's side inner fender is usually rotted out by the battery anyway, so I wouldn't put too much effort into saving it.
2. Get the replacement pieces first (core support and inner fenders). I like AMD.
3. Get 2 or 3 quality (American made) spot weld cutters, chinese are junk..
4. Take pictures of the way the pieces fit together.
5. Drill out the spot welds thru the top layer only, then separate the panels with a small chisel.
6. Mock up the replacement panels with clamps and drill 5/16 holes where you want the spot welds (plug welds) to be. Unless you have a quality spot welder. Disassemble and clean the areas to be Mig welded.
7. Reassemble the pieces, clamp them down and triple check any measurements you need to make, e.g squareness, core support is vertical, etc.
8. Plug weld up the holes to resemble spot welds (you can dress them with a 4 in grinder and flap disc after).

Now would be a good time to upgrade to a 26 in core support if you don't already have it.. Also the bottom of the core support is a separate piece that you may not need unless it was damaged or is for a smaller core support. There are only spot welds holding it all together. Im sure I have forgotten something but this is the general procedure and is not too hard of a job (compared to replacing a firewall).

Good luck!

View attachment 15586

Back