• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

neutral safety switch

Mocktwo

Reaction score
Does anyone know of the 72 Challenger came with a clutch-starter safety switch? (like a neutral safety switch on an automatic tranny).
Mine was converted from an automatic and does not have a clutch switch, causing some safety questions.
Thanks

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Look at yellow number 9 connector and follow.

Attachments

• 1972_barracuda_rallye.jpg
    1972_barracuda_rallye.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 209
  • 1972_barracuda_engine.jpg
    1972_barracuda_engine.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 158

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Clutch safety switch interrupts start circuit. If you have a standard trans you can make do with out it.just start in neutral or clutch in. look in bottom right to see manual trans application.

challenger wiring 1972 dodge challenger under hood wiring diagram.png

Last edited:

rklein71

Reaction score
I took a bunch of grief for posting this on the E-bodies.org Facebook page for installing a Hyundai clutch safety switch in my 71 Barracuda. I fabbed up a simple 90 degree bracket to mount it. It cost around seven bucks and worked perfectly. I just can't see spending 2-3 hundred bucks for something no one sees and my car is not stock anyhow. Rod
upload_2019-12-1_15-1-1.png

Mocktwo

Reaction score
Thanks Guys.
I am participating in a vintage muscle car drag race day and they list "neutral safety switch" as a requirement. If it was not OEM, I was going to argue I didn't need it, but seems simple enough to install.

rklein71

Reaction score
Really simple, depressing the clutch completes the grounding circuit for the starter relay. Without the ground, the relay won’t work which prevents current flow to the starter.

Back