• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

New Challenger vs 70-71

4 Barrel

Reaction score
I am relatively new on this site as I drive a '70 340 Swinger ( matching numbers ) car which I brought back from California a number of years ago. It is completely restored ). However, now that I am recently retired, I'm giving some serious thought to buying a '70-71 Challenger/Cuda 340, 4speed car ( correct, matching numbers, and fully restored ( while retaining the Dart ) However, I am also looking at the new 2011 SRT8 Challenger. I know these are two very different cars, but I would certainly value any opinions on making a choice between the two cars. I already have a daily driver ( Durango ), so this would be a few weather car only. But one that I could also jump in and head across Canada/USA.:)

burntorange70

Reaction score
Welcome to FEBO! Good to have you here. The new VS old has been talked about some and most think new for a daily driver and old for a weekend fun car.

Got any pics of your Swinger? I would love to see it.

AlleyoopMgv

Reaction score
Welcome to the site!

I have to agree with what burnt said "new for a daily driver and old for a weekend fun car"

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Welcome to the site. The new ones are hot but I would go for a `70/`71 in a heartbeat. Do you have your eye on one in particular?.

bad440

Reaction score
Have a 2010 R/T Classic Plum Crazy, as well as my 1974 Rallye 360(yellow blaze,now with a 440) but I must say the new one is much more powerful than the old 360 as well as a stock 440. The old one is a fun car(original owner) and will never sell it but am having the best of both worlds with the 2010 as it has amazing power, comfort, luxury, good gas mileage, way beyond anything the old one has.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
having driven both the new one rules , better handling & brakes for sure , interior comfort is awesome . downside no torque , the new Hemis make power with RPM like any small block but lack the ability to plant you in the seat like the old big blocks

4 Barrel

Reaction score
I've been searching cars-on-line, as well as Hemmings. No luck finding the right car. Looking for a '70-71 Challenger or Cuda, 340 4 speed, matching numbers, a Southern car, that is correct. Tried to post a pic of my 70 340 Swinger but could not figure out how. A great site btw!

DetMatt1

Reaction score
My next project is a `70 Challenger A66 340 perf. package car. I have had it for sale(still posted here and thier) but I think it's enough of a basket case that it was scaring people away. It is a numbers matching engine and trans.(auto) with build sheet and fender tag. The engine was stuck from sitting so long outside here in MI, but I just pulled the heads on it the other day and managed to get it freed up and I am pretty stoked about it. Now I am very much looking fotward to keeping this car for myself, unless, of course the right money comes along...

Back