• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

New guy needs help

syeguy

Reaction score
I'm new here guys and also new to e bodies.
I've been building a 71 Challenger for a customer (my first Dodge) and have got it 95% complete. It's a 340 4spd with all new components, shifter,rods, and transmission. My problem is that second gear grinds when I try to shift it in. I've set my rods up right(I've done 4 spds before) and even tryed different transmission arms, dose the same thing. It's almost like it wasn't quite going into gear. Owner says the trans comes from big transmission builder and won't be the problem. Am I missing something. The clutch grabs at just about top of pedal so I don't think it's adjustment. Any thoughts???

Thanks Steve

kursplat

Reaction score
Owner says the trans comes from big transmission builder and won't be the problem...
because big transmission builders never mess up?

i'd get the name and number of whoever built it and see what they think

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
What oil are you using in the trans , 80-90 is the factory recommendation , newer oils are too slippery for the syncros to grab properly . the other problem is second gear always takes the most use & will wear out first , if the major components were not replaced the trans will be the problem as the parts inside will be worn

Big Jim

Reaction score
Just a thought- might check to see if there is a burr on the input bearing retainer letting the throw-out bearing hang up- I had the sleeve seize in the bearing and would hit the clutch disc-went nuts trying to figure it out until I dropped the trans.

Back