• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

new here need 440 info

torinoso

Reaction score
I gave my 21 year old son my 70 challenger (318). We want to restore it and make it a 440 sixpack clone. What year blocks make better motors?does it matter? Are the newer (late 70's ok or should we look for a69- 70-71 block. I think he wants to build a stroker motor. Any advice or pro's and con's would be appreciated. I am new to mopar rerstoration but recently finished a 1970 Ford torino convertible with a 429 SCJ and 4 speed for myself. Thanks, Eric

AlleyoopMgv

Reaction score
Welcome! I'm a autobody man by trade, but I know that earlier 440 are a little bit better than the later ones, but don't take my word for it. I think if it's a 440, it's all good. Keep us updated on the project, and post some pic's if you can.

burntorange70

Reaction score
Welcome to FEBO! Any year 440 should work just fine. I would have a shop check it out first to look for cracks and wall thickness. Good luck with the build.

6packcuda

Reaction score
I don't think there's much difference in the blocks themselves. However, the '67 - '73 440s have the stronger steel cranks. After '73, they all had cast cranks. The cast cranks are still strong, just not as strong as the steel ones.

moparmanpr

Reaction score
i'll add something i don't think many folks know about. there's always a dash # at the end of the engine # ( -1 or -2 etc.) this # indicates how many times a sand casting had a portion replaced due to shift after each cast. therefore, the lower the dash #, the better. i have a '70 challenger with dual quads that was originally a 318. you probably already know but, you'll need a 727 trans, motor mounts, driveshaft, a bigger radiator & a sure grip rear would be nice.

torinoso

Reaction score
thanks. more questions

What rear end do the 318 cars typically have in them? 8 1/4" or 8 3/4" ? will a 8 1/4 " hold up ? Eric

moparmanpr

Reaction score
318's came with an 8 1/4. you could use it but it would not stand the ammount of torque a 440 is capable of generating.

burntorange70

Reaction score
Use this to ID your rear end. I would use no less than an 8 3/4 with a sure grip. Or a Dana 60 if you are going to put a lot of HP to it or race it with slicks.

Mopar axle guide.jpg

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Often later blocks are better & generally cheaper to get , if you are stroking it the crank will make no difference , the 440 Source 512 CI kit is one of the best for loongevity / street use , you can buy it complete & balanced for $1800 which works out cheaper than rebuilding the stock parts in most cases
Heads & cam will be the biggest factors in power output , I generally use th Holley Street dom intakes & Proform 950 cfm carbs ontop of what works out to 512 ci

Back