• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

New Member from Oz

redcuda

Reaction score
Hi There all, just joined this great forum

I have finally taken posssion of 70 cuda numbers matching 383 .

I bought the car in Georgia in September last year and due to a lot of beuracratic red tape from the Australian government it finally arived in last month

The car is all pretty origanal with an older resto there are some things i will need help on though, like the car has 2 different side mirrors, the passenger side is about 6 1/2 inches wide and comes to a point but the drivers side is about 5 1/2 inches and is sort of mor round looking

any way any help would be aprciated

thanks
Mark

ps photos to follow

Challengaaah

Reaction score
Gday mate, yeah the mirrors...there must be about 4 different types. As usual the 70's are different in many respects to the later models. Many later B body (71 Charger, RR Satellite sport etc) had these types of mirrors too so often they were used in place when the 70 mirrors were rather harder to find

Russ

Reaction score
haha ... the E-Body Rallye mirror dilemma - been there, done that! hahaha

For the 1970 E-Body, the Driver and passenger side actually were different.

As you've noticed, the passenger side is a little more pointy, the actually mirror doesn't fill the housing quite as much and is a little more elongated - plus the entire stalk is shorter and the mirror sits closer to the body - this is standard for the '70.

See pic below. Mirror on the left with the remote wiring is driver-side. Mirror on the right is passenger side.

ebodymirrors-70.jpg

Left & right '71-'74 E-Body mirrors were both the same size - and very much the same shape as the '70 driver-side. The passenger was again a little shorter, moving it closer to the body - but the base-plate (that attaches to the car) was a little longer than the '70 model.

ebodymirrors-7174.jpg

But ... you actually may not have either of the above hahaha

I actually had a '73-'74 B-Body mirror on my driver side. Similar in looks to the '70 version, but side by side you really see the difference.

The base plate is longer, taller, and the screw holes are much wider apart. The actual mirror & mirror housing itself are also slightly larger.

The one in my hand is a correct '70 Challenger repro drivers-side mirror, and the one on the car is from a '73-'74 B-Body.

mirrors-2.jpg

The correct mirror came as a spare with the car but I much preferred the B-Body mirror that was already on there, so I bought a matching one for the passenger side.

Took me a while to figure out which was which but I finally got there. I went over to BE/A spares website (the repro company) and checked through them all until I found what I had.

Most B-Body mirrors are virtually the same, with the only real difference being the length of the base plate, and the position of the screw holes.

Hope I havn't confused you! :icon_eyes:

*** First 2 images stolen from Christer off another Challenger forum. :thumbsup:

Russ

Reaction score
...oh yeah, welcome to the site!

Need them pics of your fish though mate. :D

Challengaaah

Reaction score
Hey Russ, well it looks like Redcuda has fallen asleep but i'll just say thanks for those great photos and all that info on the mirrors, i certainly DID NOT know all that! wow, Chrysler certainly did things differently didn;t they! I had no idea the mirrors were designed to be different on both sides (BTW how did you find out this? As i have never read about it anywhere in any mags or forums, or chatting to people). I can maybe understand why the base stem was shorter on the passenger side, to help prevent them from being scraped from the driver not being as aware of whats going on on that side of the car...but the 70 having a completely different shape, more pointy, that doesn't make sense, although they must have had a good reason.

Challengaaah

Reaction score
BTW, i'm looking at that last picture, is that your Chal... can't work out where the windscreen goes, the roof line looks like its going backwards if that is the driver side (LHS), also its seems a strange colour, faded pastel green looks like

Russ

Reaction score
I found it out when I started looking for one. I had no passenger side attached to the car, but one come with the spares I got from the guy I bought the car off. It was different to the driver side mirror that was one there - so I jumped online and spent hours searching every Mopar related forum & parts seller I could find.

Moparts forums are a great resource. Every question imaginable has been asked there - multiple times.

Also got the pics and info from another Challenger forum: http://challenger.mpoli.fi/forum/

.. and regarding the last pic. If the colour looks weird, it's just the lighting in the shop. The Colour is Cortez Silver. A 69 GM colour popular on Corvette's & Chevelle's.

And the roof-line looks weird because the door is wide open. :thumbsup:

redcuda

Reaction score
Hi guys , sorry for the late reply .I kinda did fall asleep had a crash on my dirt bike and have been in hospital for a while back home now so when it stops raining in sydney ill get some pics to post
Russ thanks for the info re mirror awsome i do have the standard set up round on the driver side , pointy on the passenger side
Mark

redcuda

Reaction score
thanks Russ
i rekon i was lucky rather than good, i purchased this car sight unseen

its a good driver quality car, paint is ok ,but most of all its all origanal

where i oz are you?

Russ

Reaction score
NSW Central Coast. Wyong area.

Originally from Sydney - Blacktown area.

Back