• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

New owner of '73 Challenger

Xcudame

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from the desert! As others have stated, get it safe to drive (gas tanks are relatively cheap and easy to change) and run it! It might just grow on you! 318s can be made to be pretty snappy. You'll know for sure after driving it a few months if you "bound" with it or not. Then the decision is easier to make.

Tim.g.howard

Reaction score
Well... Car's still under repair. I'll shift this discussion over to "Member Restorations" even though it's a resto mod at this point.

As noted, I added MSD, bigger intake manifold, bigger carb to the 318. The engine is still missing on a few cylinders but compression test checks out ok and all plugs, wires, etc. have been replaced and retested several times. Best guess is that a car that has sat a long time will have developed varnish that may be causing the valves to stick enough to prevent firing? So trying some sea foam in the oil and to run the car at idle for a tank or two and see if it clears up.

For safety inspection I ordered and replaced the seatbelts with original style replacements from Seatbelts Plus (not a perfect fit and doesn't appear to support the wiring for the seat belt warning system). Got the wipers connected and working again (was missing a clutch). And serviced the brakes (rebuilt lines and new MC and rear cylinders).

Meanwhile I've commissioned a Machine Shop down in Rosenberg, TX to build me a 440 stroked to 493 and planning to swap to 4-Speed Manual, swap to QA-1 suspension front and back, upgrade to a stronger diff.

All this I'll address in restoration Forum.

Back