• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

New Shock Absorbers for 1970 E-Body

DY31970

Reaction score
Hi, I'm going to remove the rear air shocks from my 1970 Challenger and install new shocks. I've been reading about KYB Gas A Just shocks and they sound good. Their info says it would give extra performance than their Excel-G which would give original ride and handling. Has anyone used KYB Gas-A-Just shocks? If so do you like the ride and handling qualities?

moparleo

Reaction score
Some people say the ride is stiff. I have run them on all of my E-bodies over the last 40 years with no problems. They are firmer than stock but that is what you need. Stock shocks are too soft.
So you know. Only air type shocks support weight. The ride height will go back to stock which was on the low side in the rear.
Front KG-4510 Rear KG- 5512 You should use them front and rear so they have similar valving.

DY31970

Reaction score
Thanks moparleo, The ride would go back to stock in the rear without the air shocks, which is okay. But I think the rear leaf springs are original so they may have lost some strength over time and may sag, which would lower the ride height more.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I Hate KYB , , might as well weld a steel rod in there , I would be looking at QA1 or Bilstein

DY31970

Reaction score
Thanks Chryco Psycho, I'll check out QA1 and Bilstein. I also had looked up Monroe Monro-Matic Plus gas shocks and Gabriel gas shocks. Is anyone familiar with these shocks?

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
I put KYB gas shocks on mine. Solid ride is what I was after. Bilstein is an excellent choice. Or get nuts and go coil-over adjustable to dial in any type of ride you want for any type of occasion (long ride, drag race, road race). It's just money, ugh.

themechanic

Reaction score
I have KYBs on all 4 corners and it rode very well. Mind you, I rebuilt all the suspension with new parts and only rubber bushings.

I drove several blocks from my house to get the new headliner installed. David gave me a ride home in his newish Chevy half ton pick-up truck. The road between our homes is extremely bumpy 50 year old cracked concrete. I was surprised the Cuda ride was so much smoother.

Back