• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

newbe question

DAMAGE-INC

Reaction score
Do Mopar small blocks all have same motor mount locations through the years? If not how new of a block would drop into a 70 challenger without any mount mods? Also does anyone have a slant six car? Just wondered sense all I ever see are V8 cars.

burntorange70

Reaction score
Welcome to the site. 340-360 all have the same mounts but the 318 has a different mount on one side. They made S/6 E bodys back in the day but they are few now a days as most have had the six yanked and a V-8 put in its place.

Rob C

Reaction score
I've seen a few /6 powered Cudas and Challnegers before. Rare sites indeed.

All S/B V-8 have the motor mounts in the same spot. Theres a slight naorrowing difference with the 318/273. If you swap in a 340/360 inplace of a 318, a few washers can make up the space, so new mounts are not needed.

you can use any S/B V8 of any year until the Magnum engine came out. The first few years of Magnums have the "LA" mounts on the side, later one do not. Crate engines have dual mounting locations on them.

Swapping V8 inplace of a /6 is a mystery to me. I beileve Schmaucher has an answer though from what I know, the K frames are all the same, you just need the right engine mount to go into the K frame.

I just don't know if that is the case with the /6 in a E body.

DAMAGE-INC

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. The car was ordered with a 318. Its now missing as my uncle pulled it to install a 383. I bought it with out an engine and have a 86' 318 that needs rebuilt. I also can get a 84' /6 that runs.

Was just not sure how flexable the k-members were at swapping engines. Been tossing around the idea about the /6 in my head...then maybe not?

Another thought? Do the front torsion bars have diffrent ratings say for big blocks verses small blocks?

burntorange70

Reaction score
It will be a lot more fun with a V8 in her.

www.engine-swaps.com has convershin mounts to put any V8 in there you want. I don't know that they make a V8 to S/6 swap though. But mabby some one here that has taken out there slant and put in a V8 will have a set.

Yes a BB T-bar is bigger than a SB T-bar to handle the extra weight of the motor.

You can get any size T bar you like from the aftermaket.

DAMAGE-INC

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. It shows two diffrent k-members for the /6 and V8. V8 It is:D

arh

Reaction score
will a big block bolt right in if the car was a 318 originally?

burntorange70

Reaction score
will a big block bolt right in if the car was a 318 originally?

Welcome to the site. It is good to have you here. You sould start your own threads so you don't hijack other peoples. But seeing as your new I think we can let it slide this time;)

No a BB will not bolt in place as the motor mounts are different than SB ones. But www.engine-swaps.com has convesion mounts that will let you do the swap.

Back