• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Newbie floor question

mayhem

Reaction score
This is the first time I've had to address floorboard rust-thru - definitely in the front on both sides and most probably in the rear both sides. Is it better to do the entire floor pan as a one piece install or individual sections one at a time? Trans tunnel is solid & has the slap stick brackets. I'm not opposed to removing all of it and installing an aftermarket shifter (probably best with the engine I'm building). Besides drilling out the spot welds on the old floor, what else should I be prepared to do before taking the wheel of death to what's left of the existing floors? I will be connecting the front & rear frame sections plus adding at least a 6-point rollbar to help strengthen the chassis and keep the car from twisting itself into a pretzel. Any thoughts or cautions would be appreciated. Thanking you in advance. Mopar to ya!

fasjac

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from Arkansas! First, without seeing the extent of damage, I’d say replace as a unit. But, with adding the the roll cage, may be ok with patch panels.
sounds like you’re going to be cutting and welding afterwards anyway. Would like to see some pics of what you’re working with.
Glad you joined up!

70chall440

Reaction score
My $.02 is to replace the entire pan if you are willing to do so. Where you see rust is only the beginning, there is undoubtedly some rust you are not seeing, perhaps not horrible but still there. Removing the floor pan will give you access to the cross members which you can clean/repair as needed.

What I do is is use a cut off wheel or plasma to cut out the big pieces that do not have any cross members under them, then use a spot weld cutter or even a flap wheel to drill/grind off the spot welds to remove the rest. I even use an air chisel at times. Once everything it out, then I clean up everything, lay in the new pan, mark it from underneath, then you can drill holes for spot welds.

mayhem

Reaction score
I'm thinking a full pan is probably the best to avoid a wavy install. Also, the 'unseen' is somewhat eliminated by replacing it all. Excellent idea to cut the floor out in sections then work on the spot welds & subfloor structure - THANKS! I knew there were FEBO folks out there who are "...smarter than the average bear." (When was the last time you heard that line?)

mayhem

Reaction score
Anyone know if AMD has full floor pans in stock - or what the projected wait time is?

70chall440

Reaction score
i would think that they are available, however there are a number of companies that carry AMD. Do some research and you should be able to find some, that said I doubt anyone here is going to know for sure. As to delivery time, being in PNW myself I would say delivery time is probably 3-8 days.

mayhem

Reaction score

Thanks 70chall440. I had been reading about delays in filling carpet & interior orders and if the AMD floor pan wasn't in stock, what the anticipated wait time for resumption of production was if anyone else who was waiting knew. I have to clear space in the shop, inventory parts & make a plan beofre doing anything else. Seems daunting but I'll get there. Glad to have you and other FEBO members as resources & moral support. Mopar to ya!​

Back