• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

No crank, no lights.....nothin

Scoop

Reaction score
Hello.

I have a 1974 Challenger with a 340. I went to start the car today and it would not turn over. I then realized I had no lights....no dome lights, no head lights...nothing. I changed the battery since the old one was very very old. Although, it was should 12.8 volts. New battery did nothing either. I checked....12 volts to the alternator and starter. Cleaned all the battery terminals. Last year I changed the distributor, coil, plugs, leads and the electronic ignition. Car was running great. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Scoop.

2015 Ivor and Mair 028.JPG

August 2021 Streetsville 2.jpg

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Check fuseable link by battery and bulkhead connection on fire wall.follow red wire on starter relay at battery. When did you checked....12 volts to the alternator and starter today? check both plugs under steering column. Yellow is battery feed,blue is the alt feed and red is the acc feed from ing switch.

1972_barracuda_engine.jpg

20211203_152200.jpg

challenger E BODY ACC BATT ALT WIRES dots.jpg

dodge challenger starter relay wiring diagram.jpg

20211213_150353.jpg

Last edited:

Scoop

Reaction score
Check fuseable link by battery and bulkhead connection on fire wall.follow red wire on starter relay at battery. When did you checked....12 volts to the alternator and starter today? check both plugs under steering column.
Thank you. The fuseible link, would it be connected to the alternator and go into the firewall? I have a picture of it below. Is there a root cause for the link to go...age, overloaded, heat? Do they get old and need replacing. I'm sure this is the original one. I have to check the connections under the steering column, but it was recently replaced. I appreciate your help.

Attachments

• fusible linke.jpg
    fusible linke.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 122

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Thank you. The fuseible link, would it be connected to the alternator and go into the firewall? I have a picture of it below. Is there a root cause for the link to go...age, overloaded, heat? Do they get old and need replacing. I'm sure this is the original one. I have to check the connections under the steering column, but it was recently replaced. I appreciate your help.
The link that's being referred to is by the battery. and yes to your questions. Don't forget about the ground,just as important

BAttery_l.jpeg

Last edited:

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
These may help you troubleshoot power. You can see the fusible link (Dark Blue labeled 16DBL) at the starter relay on the fenderwell. It connects to the 10R wire which feeds into the Bulkhead Connector at socket #16. If you have 12VDC at the 16DBL to 10R connector, check the bulkhead connector by removing the center "plug" and look at it for corrosion, then reseat it into the connector to make sure it is seated properly. There are a quite a few test points, starting with your battery and working toward the bulkhead connector.

starter_relay.jpg

Ignition Switch and Steering column harness.jpg

IMG_E0220.JPG
Starter Relay Fusible Link 16DBL to 10R to Bulkhead Socket 16.jpg

Last edited:

Scoop

Reaction score
Thank you very much for everyone's help. The wiring diagrams helped a lot. I'll let you know how everything works out.

Back