• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Old clutch and New 4-speed

jm4849

Reaction score
I have a 70 challenger convertible 318 3-sp. I am swapping in a 4-sp transmission. Will my current clutch handle the 4-sp or do I need to upgrade my clutch as well. It has less than 5,000 miles on. Thanks.

DaveBob

Reaction score
I have a 70 challenger convertible 318 3-sp. I am swapping in a 4-sp transmission. Will my current clutch handle the 4-sp or do I need to upgrade my clutch as well. It has less than 5,000 miles on. Thanks.
The clutch specs, such as pressure plate clamping force, are mostly a function of engine torque. If the engine hasn't changed and everything is mechanically compatible, such as the same input shaft diameter and spline count, then keeping the old clutch is fine if it worked well before the swap.

jm4849

Reaction score
The clutch specs, such as pressure plate clamping force, are mostly a function of engine torque. If the engine hasn't changed and everything is mechanically compatible, such as the same input shaft diameter and spline count, then keeping the old clutch is fine if it worked well before the swap.
Thanks alot for the response. Really appreciate it. Joe

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
It likely is a smaller diameter clutch but as above you have the same engine so if it held before it should be fine now

Back