• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

opinions on a 440 tunnel ram set up?

Rob C

Reaction score
Talk to an engine builder or better yet contact the manifold manufacturers tech department. No opinions there. Just factual info. Every thing in life is a compromise. You just have to decide what the most important thing that you are trying to accomplish and what is reality or looks. Want to go fast ? Rebuild your 440 stock and put a low gear set in the rear and then go from there.
Better yet, talk to a guy that runs tunnel rams in the street.
I love mine track or street. Loads up a bit when sitting so on the street i lean her out a hair and turn up the idle a tad and pow no issue...but my set up is a bit different then yours I'm running .610 lift cam, 5000 nitro stall, ported and polished everything with the biggest valves i could fit oh and 15.5:1 compression with 110 octane fuel.

View attachment 27161
That’s a bit more than the OP is running!
I knew a few guys that ran them on the street, one of them had that 509 camshaft. Everyone I knew ran quicker with the tunnel ram with no ill effects on streetability other than needing a hood scoop to clear them. However it really depends on what the individual finds acceptable I suppose. Naturally the intake/convertor/camshaft all have to be matched or you'll have problems no matter how many carb's you're using.
Bingo!
I have tuned & run a couple , we actually had a bet going on the best dyno #s using a high rise single & a tunnel ram & the the tunnel ram won out , other than the lack of heat issue my experience after getting the engine warmed up they work awesome street or track ,I would go for it as long as it is only warm weather driven .
Multi port EFI on a tunnel ram would be simply awesome EFI just works so much better huge race cams will idle like a stock engine as the right amount of atomized fuel is delivered right behind the intake valve so every cylinder fires every time up , Vacuum is no issue , you can use 1200+ cfm T bodies on basic 440s with massive large port intakes bst of everythng but he entry cost is up there around $5 k
There are a few FI Tr on the street around here. The one common factor is the carb made more top end HP which they gladly trade off for super drive abilities.

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with a tunnel ram on the street. Not a 440, but I run a Indy tunnel ram with two 1050 dominators on the street and spray 2 kits with it at the strip.

IMG9505711.jpg

Back