• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Overdrive 833

sportster2000

Reaction score
The engine trans combo in my 74 challenger is not original. The trans came out of a mid to late 70's truck per the numbers on the side. Brewers told me that in order to get the shift pattern correct that the 1-2? shift plate would have to be turned upside down and the linkage would have to be extended. Does anyone have any information on this such as length of the extension that has to be done on the rod or pictures of it?

sportster2000

Reaction score
I do have one, Brewers Transmission is the one who told me that I have to swap the plate over to make that transmission work with the rods that they sold me.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
It's been a long time since I used the 833 od. I had to ask a friend. You flip the 3rd and 4th lever. Technically 4th gear stayed the same as non od and 3rd gear became od. This means the 3rd, 4th rod has to be longer. I just don't know how much longer it needs to be. I would think Brewers would know. Have you mounted everything and done a measurement?

sportster2000

Reaction score
I have and the car works with the 3-4 shift backwards. The car in at a body shop right now and I have no access to it. Also told them no hurry to get it done. I think that Brewers would know but they didn't tell me when I asked about some parts. They just told me that there would be a shifting issue.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
What happened to me with stock linkage is I had to shift in a U pattern. I would flip 3 and 4, measure, and lengthen the rod to size. Again it has been so long since I used one, I had to remember.

70Hardtop

Reaction score
Try contacting Passon Performance - they are much more helpful I have found than Brewers. Jamie is great to deal with. They do everything A833, they know them backwards and they design and build their own gearboxes and parts

Back