• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Paint blisters

Mopewbie

Reaction score
My little lady is suffering!

Is there anything I can do to prevent it getting worse apart from full respray?
Blisters weren't there a couple of months ago and the cracks are spreading as well... 😢

20230130_152911.jpg

20230130_152940.jpg

20230130_153041.jpg

20230130_155638.jpg

Steve340

Reaction score
I do not think you can do anything for that paint job. My concern is from your pics rust may be forming under those cracks.

Rich Followell

Reaction score
Yeah that's a mess, Sorry but have to call them as I see them. Absolutely rust under the old body work and the old body work appears extensive and expensive to repair. Good luck!

Mopewbie

Reaction score
Thank you, I totally agree. Don't think a "simple" respray will do the job. I'll have to go for full restoration at some point.
Does it worth sanding that and applying some rust preventer for the time being?

Steve340

Reaction score
All layers of paint need to come off to ensure the "bad" paint is totally gone. Back to bare metal is the only way to be sure.
I am not sure what you can do but you need to make sure the rust is not working away under that paint.
Maybe you are better off to sand the cracks and seal with aerosol paint.
Those blisters look like the paint shop had water or oil in their air supply.

Mopewbie

Reaction score
All layers of paint need to come off to ensure the "bad" paint is totally gone. Back to bare metal is the only way to be sure.
I am not sure what you can do but you need to make sure the rust is not working away under that paint.
Maybe you are better off to sand the cracks and seal with aerosol paint.
Those blisters look like the paint shop had water or oil in their air supply.
What happened is that the previous owner has decided to paint the car himself but apparently the compressor wasn't powerful enough. Car never received a proper finish and it's almost 100% "orange peel" like. Looking at old photos i couldn't notice any repair or damage in those areas.

I doesn't help the fact I'm using a car cover although I drive them at least twice a month during winter time. Yes, I'm quoting to build a proper garage but in the meantime...

Reaction score
Is this car outside Under a cover? Paint will go away real quick if it is.

more than one way to get an orange peel paint job.

Mopewbie

Reaction score
Is this car outside Under a cover? Paint will go away real quick if it is.

more than one way to get an orange peel paint job.
Yes, it is. That or nothing. If I remove the cover car becomes a swamp.

I don't know what's worse really... it will be warmer again soon!

This cover is plastic on top and has a soft lining under. Before that car had just a plastic one for less than a week.

I'm thinking patina is the way to go...

BSG

Reaction score
The cracking looks like a car that has had bodywork and or paint prep work then left out in the weather. A lot if not most people think that primer and “bondo” I hate that word. Are water proof. They are not. Sealer is but no one uses it. Body work takes so long a lot of guys end up leaving it out in the rain and those cracks are exactly what happens. I run a late model collision shop here in ca where it almost never rains but we do get a marine layer that rolls In during some times during the year and I have to keep an eye out for car/trucks primed or have mud work to make sure they are not left out where moisture can get absorbed. Nothing less than a complete strip and preferably blasting will save your girl….

Back