• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Perfect engine

Jon Crull

Reaction score
74 Dodge Challenger Rallye 360 for Speed have done multiple research now I want your guy's opinion I have to 360 both of them are truck engines one is a brand new bottom in bored over 30 but what I would like to know what would be the best fun streetable engine to put in I've been thinking about a 440 swap I really do not want to do a new Hemi swap cuz everybody's doing it but what would you guys recommend

autoxcuda

Reaction score
Stroke the 360 to 410. Run a scat 4" rotating assembly in one of your 360's.

Most streetable and cost effective way for horsepower and torque.

TC_Cuda

Reaction score
I have owned a few small block cars, but, for some reason they all wind up with a Big Block in them.
Nothing wrong with a good small block. I however love that Big Block power and sound.

In the end you need to decide what's best for you, and what you want... what do you want???

If cost is a consideration, then stick with the small block. Switching to Big Block has extra costs.

Jon Crull

Reaction score
Sad thing if you start adding up the cost it is cheaper to build a 440 the scat kit alone is 1400 -1800 that with just I beam rods and heads are crazy looking 1800 just for aluminum you can get a set for a 440 for a 1000 but yes my plan was a 408 stroker or 440 I just don't know how hard would it be to find a bell housing. And at what HP do you have to frame tie

TC_Cuda

Reaction score
There are so many ways to go. Stock, Mild performance, More performance, Stroker, and of course, All out power.
I'm just guessing, but, it sounds like you want power and torque on a budget ? Nothing wrong with that, but, you really need to determine what your real budget is.
And then double it...
Ok really, do you have a budget? If so what is it?
What kind of power are you looking for?
How much are you going to do yourself?
If you have an engine builder, start there, and talk to them....a good engine builder is worth every penny.

I have 440 source heads on my 493 Big Block. I am happy with them, BUT... they did need some work and I would NOT just bolt them on. (like push rod clearance)
I also have frame connectors. ( I used a kit from U.S. Tools and did fender bracing and torque boxes ) Even a factory 440 makes enough power to benefit from frame connector.
I hope this info helps a little, ... just my 2 cents

Jon Crull

Reaction score
I am doing as much work myself I have been a diesel mechanic for 12 years. Plan A would be 408 I have a 360 short block already punched out 30 I was going with enginequest Magnum heads with that La intake bolt pattern dual-plane intake and a 750 Holley in probably Hughes adjustable rockers I looked into the aluminum Edelbrock heads but they're not worth it you only gain and like 42 more CFM unless you see and see him and that's another two grand on top of $1,800 heads I looked into the W2 heads but there's so much modification it's not really worth it so that's why I've been researching the Magnum heads and everybody says they flow a hell of lot better and engine Quest fix the cracking problem by making their own casting then I'll probably just pick up a 4:40 or 383 leaving on an engine stand and just tinkering around with it but everybody told me the challengers handle like a worn-out Camaro already so putting a big block in it it probably won't handle as well as a small weight of a small block

Jon Crull

Reaction score
And cam I will probably go with what enginequest say is the best

TC_Cuda

Reaction score
I am doing as much work myself I have been a diesel mechanic for 12 years. Plan A would be 408 I have a 360 short block already punched out 30 I was going with enginequest Magnum heads with that La intake bolt pattern dual-plane intake and a 750 Holley in probably Hughes adjustable rockers I looked into the aluminum Edelbrock heads but they're not worth it you only gain and like 42 more CFM unless you see and see him and that's another two grand on top of $1,800 heads I looked into the W2 heads but there's so much modification it's not really worth it so that's why I've been researching the Magnum heads and everybody says they flow a hell of lot better and engine Quest fix the cracking problem by making their own casting then I'll probably just pick up a 4:40 or 383 leaving on an engine stand and just tinkering around with it but everybody told me the challengers handle like a worn-out Camaro already so putting a big block in it it probably won't handle as well as a small weight of a small block

Now that looks like a plan! That sounds like a good engine.
Since I have no experience with the heads you named I will leave it to others to debate that....but... I have heard good things about Edelbrock heads
If you have time to look maybe find a good used set... again, I would like to here from some small block guys

No doubt a small block will handle better, but after I rebuilt the front end with poly, upgraded torsion bars and sway bar it handles damn good for a Big Block.

moper

Reaction score
I've owned big and small block cars, and built both for customers. The stroker route is a good one - but you will have to do some homework regardless of the path you choose. I like the EQ Magnums, but they are not the best choice IMO for a 4" stroke engine. The differences are greater than the cfm rating, and a stroked engine combo will eat up the additional airflow, or be limited by the less flow. I would use Edelbrock LA RPMs. Camshaft choice should not be left to the head manufacturer. Calling and asking them is a sure way to leave power and driveability on the table. If you're going to be your own builder - you have to research a lot, or read up on others' builds to get an idea of what to run. ONe thing is certain: the right stroked small block will absolutely smoke a mild 440 in pretty much every area of performance. But - the big block will get the attention at the cruise night. IMO cost-wise both will be close to the same to get built and in the car running. So get your budget figure, and decide what path you want to take.

Back