• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Pistol grip handle removal?

valkman

Reaction score
I'm trying to replace the shift boot and I'm having trouble getting the handle out of the shifter. I've used shims with PB Blaster and I can't even get a .08 shim to go in a 1/2". Anyone have any tricks or suggestions?

quapman

Reaction score
If memory serves me, the detent is only on one side. (Left?) Once you get your shim in there, a lot of fore/aft wiggling is needed while pulling up. These bad boys don't like to come out easily.

valkman

Reaction score
If memory serves me, the detent is only on one side. (Left?) Once you get your shim in there, a lot of fore/aft wiggling is needed while pulling up. These bad boys don't like to come out easily.
Yeah the searches i found said just access the driver’s side, but it's tight , really tight!

quapman

Reaction score
The side retainers are rubber lined, so maybe push to the right while inserting the shim?

Grady Cain

Reaction score
I'm guessing you're trying to get the chrome shift lever out of the holder on the transmission? A heavy, plastic dead-blow or rubber hammer works well once the shim has been inserted. I know there isn't a lot of room to strike the chrome area of the lever where the bend is but a couple of light shots with the hammer helps get the ball rolling without causing any damage to the shift lever. It has worked for me a few times...

Back