• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

polish trim

Bret Schneider

Reaction score
I just did that last week. Used a Mothers Power Ball along with Busch Super Shine Aluminum Polish. Did each piece a couple of times. The trim came out looking like new.

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
I hit the window & vinyl top trim with 0000 steel wool and then some quality polish. Looks pretty good. I had someone tell me to then paint it with gloss clear to keep the shine - anyone agree this is a good idea?

Songsrme

Reaction score
Looks like Michael got his response, so I'm hijacking thread a little. How about getting a chrome or shiny look back on original wheel well opening trim? Any suggestions besides replating?

FY1TopBanana

Reaction score
Wheel well lip trims are anodized and without removing the anodizing, polishing options are limited. Replating isnt the right process either. Also as you know tiny rock and debris pits also pepper the rearward parts and sanding them out goes through the anodizing just in those areas. There are anodized aluminum specialty polishes: Simichrome and autosol are the best. But they are limited in what they can bring back esp. if pitted.

Its not hard to de-anodize using common chemicals (lye-based oven cleaners primarily.) The lip mouldings are weird and unwieldy shapes so you would have to work on a plastic sheet or tarp and brush it on, let it work, and rinse well. This is messy and caustic skin burn stuff - requires lab gloves and a lot of ventilation.

When the process is over you have gray ugly aluminum that no longer has the layer of hard oxide anodizing. Now you can sand, scotchbrite and start an aluminum polishing sequence of buffs and polishes.

Or you can avoid all this and just sand prime and paint (try Eastwood bright aluminum) or Plastidip ..

Last edited:

Songsrme

Reaction score
Thanks a ton for that info. I'm sure there are some plating shops in the area that can do these processes as well. But at what cost? Especially in this goofy state. I've bought the repops before for a 70 Coronet RT and they fit fine. Had to tap a couple of holes, but they looked good. They are not as heavy duty though. About $350 for repops and who knows the freight, but probably cheaper than taking them in for removal and anodizing. Not sure I have the patience to do the refinishing. Mine are in excellent shape, just original and peppered. Thanks again, appreciate it.

robert power

Reaction score
get a bench grinder type of polisher it will save lots of time .Harbor freight sells one cheap.

Back