• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Power Steering Box Bolt Stripped

kerfuffle

Reaction score
I have a leaky power steering box on my 70 Cuda. I replaced the worm shaft seal in car (where the steering column hooks up), but it turns out the leak is coming out at the bottom of the big castle nut. I've read every thread out there on leaking boxes and don't think I can remedy the leak with the box in the car (though I'm interested if any of y'all have been able to do this).

Starting a restoration on it in about 18 months, so planned to just drive it with power steering belt removed, but it is pretty dang tough to drive. Plus the steering feels fairly loose, I believe partially as a result of having no fluid pressure in the box.

I'd like to pull the box; however, the bolt nearest the drivers side door is stripped. 2 bolts on the right backed out easily, but that left one almost feels like its welded in. Not sure how to proceed now that the bolt head is trashed. Pulling the K frame is a bigger job than I'd probably be comfortable with at this stage, esp given the motor is coming out next year anyways for the restoration.

Open to any and all thoughts! Thanks!

Last edited:

Xcudame

Reaction score
Since you're planning on tearing it down in a year, you might as well try some stop leak in the power steering. You've got nothing to lose. There's different stop leaks, but here's one from Walmart:

Robot or human?

As far as the tight bolt, rust penetrant and heat are you're only options while in the car. That's assuming you can even get to the spot with a torch to heat it up.

bc3j

Reaction score
If you can soak it with rust penetrant they make extractor sockets that grab onto bolt heads. I’ve had success using those in the past. Harbor Freight might have them.

Last edited:

kerfuffle

Reaction score
Thanks y'all these are good ideas. Picked up some Lucas stop leak, will try that first.

Will also start hitting it with penetrant. We did hit it with a torch on both the head side and thread side awhile back and couldn't crack it. Maybe if I hit it daily for a week with penetrant then try those sockets you recommended.

Appreciate you both!

tonysrt

Reaction score
I've done it on a 71 cuda with box in car. If you can get the nut off get the right size seal and install it with the right size socket. Seal could be 1 1/8 or 1 1/4. PB blaster has worked for me with 20 year old Oxygen sensor and spark plugs in for same amount of time. Sometimes several applications of PB are needed to geter done.

Back