• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Power Steering Pump Noise?

money pit

Reaction score
When I'm driving at 65 mph, I notice a whinning/squeeking noise on the left side of the engine compartment. If I let off the gas the noise goes away. I don't hear the noise any other time. I do notice that the pulley on the power steering pump does wobble. I don't experience any problems with the steering and I don't see any fluid leaking. What is the best way to see if the power steering pump is making the noise? The water pump and the power steering use the same belt so I can't isolate the power steering pump.

moparleo

Reaction score
The engine spins RPM's not MPH. What is the engine speed at 65 MPH ? Speed doesn't put any load on the belts/pump. If you have someone bring the rpm's up when you are under the hood, BE careful not to be in line with the belts etc... in case one jump off you don't want to be the belt guard...
You can also try to tighten the belt and test drive. If no effect try to loosen the belt. Just trying to make something happen.
Question, have you done anything recently under the hood ? Or did the sound just come from no where ? There is usually a cause and effect when something changes.
Generally belts squeal and pumps moan.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I would bet the car can get up to 65 rather quick. to hear what you need to hear or not hear. It won't over heat in a few minutes. don't go on a three hour tour.

heminut

Reaction score
I would bet the car can get up to 65 rather quick. to hear what you need to hear or not hear. It won't over heat in a few minutes. don't go on a three hour tour.
Have you actually done this? You would be surprised how fast it will over heat. I had a patrol car that had the power steering pump seize up. We took the belt off (serpentine belt) and tried to drive it to the shop. At 30 MPH it was overheating within about 6 blocks!

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
YES! Do it from a cold start.ready set go! no acc.Have the heater on high. been there done that. also drove with no alternator,will run for a day or two no acc. Drove with out brakes used parking brake to limp home. By happenstance a garage I work at maintained the state police cars(Great Guys) in the mid 70s.

Last edited:

heminut

Reaction score
YES! Do it from a cold start.ready set go! no acc. also drove with no alternator,will run for a day or two no acc.
Proceed at your own risk, from my own experience I sure wouldn't do it. When I tried it, I actually watched the needle move and it was clear over on hot within 6 blocks.

money pit

Reaction score
The engine spins RPM's not MPH. What is the engine speed at 65 MPH ? Speed doesn't put any load on the belts/pump. If you have someone bring the rpm's up when you are under the hood, BE careful not to be in line with the belts etc... in case one jump off you don't want to be the belt guard...
You can also try to tighten the belt and test drive. If no effect try to loosen the belt. Just trying to make something happen.
Question, have you done anything recently under the hood ? Or did the sound just come from no where ? There is usually a cause and effect when something changes.
Generally belts squeal and pumps moan.
The RPM at 65 mph is 2600. The only thing I did was to install electronic ignition. The car made this sound before the installation. I'm going to try a new belt. The belt is fairly new but it looks too narrow. It sits very deep in the pulley and has a funny wear pattern on the sides. I'll let you know what happens.

moparleo

Reaction score
Pulleys did come in different groove depths and belts also came in different groove widths.
Anything with a pulley that has been replaced with a non factory part in the engines life that you know of ??
Most likely replaced parts would be the alternator or p/s pump with the pulleys already installed.

Last edited:

money pit

Reaction score
Pulleys did come in different groove depths and belts also cam in different groove widths.
Anything with a pulley that has been replaced with a non factory part in the engines life that you know of ??
Most likely replaced parts would be the alternator or p/s pump with the pulleys already installed.
I was having a problem finding a belt with the proper width. The belt was sitting too deep in the pulley. I finally found a belt that fits. Thanks

Dustu

Reaction score
My car had a squeal similar to yours ,and a pretty new belt , the power steering belt was slipping when rpms were speeding up no matter how tight the belt was . End up it was the water pump pulley ,changed it ,fixed it and put on a new belt too.

Back