• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Primer

AlleyoopMgv

Reaction score
I currently use Iwata LVX "Extreme Basecoat" 400 with a 1.3 tip for basecoat, and a Iwata LPH 400 with a 1.3 tip for clear. These are $500-$600 spray guns, but it's how I make my living.

In the past, I've used SATA, DeVillbiss, Sharpe, Accuspray, and the list goes on........

But anyway's, you don't need to buy a $500 gun in my opinion, but I wouldn't recommend a $150 gun either. The cheaper gun's have there purpose. I would suggest a middle of the road kinda gun that costs around $300 or so.

Something like this vvvvvvvvvvvvv
Here is the link also: http://www.tcpglobal.com/spraygundepot/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=DEV+GTI-620G

170156 GTI MILL. HVLP GRAVITY GUN/CUP (#2000-1.3,1.4,1.5) ~ Item Number: DEV GTI-620G

List Price: 548.90
Your Price: 329.99 (EA)
Total On Hand: 157 (EA)
Qty
Email to Friend
• The Ultimate HVLP Base Coat/Clearcoat Gun
• Excellent value because this gun is basically three guns in one
• GTi® Gravity Gun Includes: 1.3 mm, 1.4 mm, and 1.5 mm fluid tips
• 1-Liter aluminum cup with push on lid
• High output air adjusting valve with gauge

Excellent value Three guns in one GTi® Gravity Gun Includes: 1.3 mm, 1.4 mm, and 1.5 mm fluid tips 1-Liter aluminum cup with push on lid High output air adjusting valve with gauge Spray lube, fluid filter, gun hook Key Features: Advanced technology for the professional painter 25% larger spray pattern-for fast coverage Even distribution of metallic for no mottling or striping Excellent color matching capabilities Optimum atomization for clearcoats and single stages produces a high gloss finish and minimizes orange peel. Excellent fluid control for applying more film build with fewer passes Lightweight and comfortable Highly efficient HVLP design Waterborne compatible--stainless steel fluid tip and needle, electro less nickel-plated gun body inside and out Less time spent on refills--32 oz aluminum cup with disposable push-on lid. Wide cup opening for easy cleaning

DEVGTI620G.jpg

Big Jim

Reaction score
Probably a little late to chime in but anyway- major kudos to you for trying to learn something new; and for what it's worth please buy a good respirator- trust me on this lungs don't like paint. Send car **** when it's done!

ramenth

Reaction score
Probably a little late to chime in but anyway- major kudos to you for trying to learn something new; and for what it's worth please buy a good respirator- trust me on this lungs don't like paint. Send car **** when it's done!

You ain't kiddin'. Got a touch of isocyanate poisoning once. Not pretty and it ain't fun.

ramenth

Reaction score
I currently use Iwata LVX "Extreme Basecoat" 400 with a 1.3 tip for basecoat, and a Iwata LPH 400 with a 1.3 tip for clear. These are $500-$600 spray guns, but it's how I make my living.

In the past, I've used SATA, DeVillbiss, Sharpe, Accuspray, and the list goes on........

But anyway's, you don't need to buy a $500 gun in my opinion, but I wouldn't recommend a $150 gun either. The cheaper gun's have there purpose. I would suggest a middle of the road kinda gun that costs around $300 or so.

Something like this vvvvvvvvvvvvv
Here is the link also: http://www.tcpglobal.com/spraygundepot/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=DEV+GTI-620G

170156 GTI MILL. HVLP GRAVITY GUN/CUP (#2000-1.3,1.4,1.5) ~ Item Number: DEV GTI-620G

List Price: 548.90
Your Price: 329.99 (EA)
Total On Hand: 157 (EA)
Qty
Email to Friend
• The Ultimate HVLP Base Coat/Clearcoat Gun
• Excellent value because this gun is basically three guns in one
• GTi® Gravity Gun Includes: 1.3 mm, 1.4 mm, and 1.5 mm fluid tips
• 1-Liter aluminum cup with push on lid
• High output air adjusting valve with gauge

Excellent value Three guns in one GTi® Gravity Gun Includes: 1.3 mm, 1.4 mm, and 1.5 mm fluid tips 1-Liter aluminum cup with push on lid High output air adjusting valve with gauge Spray lube, fluid filter, gun hook Key Features: Advanced technology for the professional painter 25% larger spray pattern-for fast coverage Even distribution of metallic for no mottling or striping Excellent color matching capabilities Optimum atomization for clearcoats and single stages produces a high gloss finish and minimizes orange peel. Excellent fluid control for applying more film build with fewer passes Lightweight and comfortable Highly efficient HVLP design Waterborne compatible--stainless steel fluid tip and needle, electro less nickel-plated gun body inside and out Less time spent on refills--32 oz aluminum cup with disposable push-on lid. Wide cup opening for easy cleaning

Alley's advice is spot on with the guns.

I use the GTi for clear coats and single stages. Still old fashioned enough that I have an Accuspray 10 gun for base. Guess it's one of those things you can't teach on old dog new tricks... No, it's really a matter of I've got both guns set up just the way I like 'em for both purposes and after developing my technique I stayed with 'em.

That doesn't mean the hobbiest out there has to buy two guns. Remember, Alley does this for a living, meaning every day of his life, and I used to, so our wallets are, and were, forced to open up for some of the best tools. I'm sure, without speaking to him on this, that Alley also has two or three primer guns, too, like I do, each set up to run each specific primer he uses.

When you do get a new gun, prepare to spend a little extra on material and take the time to practice with it. Going from my Accuspray to the GTi was a world of difference. An experienced painter, with just a few practice sprays on a masking paper strip taped to the booth wall can make the adjustments and go. Someone who's never really sprayed a car before, except for primer, needs to spend a little time and a little material getting used to the gun, getting the pattern and fluid where he or she needs to.

btceng

Reaction score
Thanks again, guys. I do definitely have a respirator (3M), and I have one of those 3 gun knockoff kits (ATD red, blue, & detail) that spray pretty good. I definitely will take a look at the GTi. I know that a good painter will probably do a great job with my setup. I just have to have something to blame other than myself, right?:laughing7:

I also will have to spend some quality time with the material and a few scrap pieces of metal around here. I'm thinking about spending a little time stripping that hood and giving her another run. Lesson learned....there's no substitute for good preparation.

Alley, isn't the LPH400 the gun that is so good about being efficient with the cfm's? I have a 3hp 60gal compressor and it runs a lot during a spray seession. I think it makes 11.4cfm @ 90psi.

AlleyoopMgv

Reaction score
Alley, isn't the LPH400 the gun that is so good about being efficient with the cfm's? I have a 3hp 60gal compressor and it runs a lot during a spray seession. I think it makes 11.4cfm @ 90psi.

It is very efficient, low air consumption, operates on 9.5 CFM's

AlleyoopMgv

Reaction score
I'm sure, without speaking to him on this, that Alley also has two or three primer guns, too, like I do, each set up to run each specific primer he uses.

Your right on Robert! I have so many spray guns, I think the last time I counted it was somewhere around 17 or so.......... :icon_eyes:

But I'll tell you one thing, to me there aint nothing better then a old SATA Jet90, best gun ever made!

Just last week I picked up two more Accuspray 3M system guns with the disposable fluid tips. One for primer, and one for sealer.

safe_image.jpg

Back