• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Quarter Skins

Dodge Ball

Reaction score
The 72 challenger I am restoring like most needs new quarter panel sections. Due to the price of full OEM after market quarters, I want to try to get away with skins. The problem is the pictures online and in catalogs are not very clear. Where do the skins start and end? Will they roll under into the wheel well area to make the pinch weld? Do they roll over the top to make up the top part of the quarter level with the trunk lid? How about back to front? Will I be attaching the skin to the factor spot weld locations or will I be butt welding at some point in between. Ideally I would want to see a skin in person but the next best thing would be some pics if anyone has any.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I agree. Different manufacturers cut the panels differently. Everyone has their preferences. I have had the best fit with Auto Metal Direct panels. You get what you pay for.

moper

Reaction score
Having done several from before the better quality full quarters were available (and working on a '70 now) I've got to say you would be much better served to try and find a way to aquire the full quarters. Some places are making deals even on AMD stuff. The skins are not stamped well, and the flanges are hit-or-miss. I consider them only for partial repairs because for every "full skin" I've used I've trimmed off the top, tail, and front flanges because they were not stamped properly. They are too long, too short, or crooked most of the time. The extra money is definately worth it and the repair will be seamless inside and out - unlike any type of skin product.

btceng

Reaction score
Definitely go for the AMD. I used a Goodmark piece and it had issues with too long flanges, poor stamping and took a lot of extra work. Still not really happy with it. I could have straightened and filled the original with better results.

Back