• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Question? 1970 Hemi Challenger Fuel Filter or Vapor Separator?

gwq234

Reaction score
Did a 1970 Hemi Challenger R/T come with a fuel filter and vapor separator or just the vapor separator from the factory? Also whats the placement for the fuel filter if it came as factory?

Reaction score
I'm 95% positive there was no inline fuel filter. Just the "sock" on the fuel pickup and some AFB carbs had a "filter" in behind the fuel inlet fitting. My 70 6pack with the 3/8's fuel line did not come with a separate inline fuel filter. I owned a 70 Hemi Cuda in the 80's it never had a separate fuel filter that I can remember. I have a 70 parts book, I'll look later today to see if they list an inline filter and let you know. Ken

gwq234

Reaction score
I'm 95% positive there was no inline fuel filter. Just the "sock" on the fuel pickup and some AFB carbs had a "filter" in behind the fuel inlet fitting. My 70 6pack with the 3/8's fuel line did not come with a separate inline fuel filter. I owned a 70 Hemi Cuda in the 80's it never had a separate fuel filter that I can remember. I have a 70 parts book, I'll look later today to see if they list an inline filter and let you know. Ken
Thanks Ken, please let me know what you find. :) Greg

Reaction score
You know what happens when you get old, your memory is the first to go. The parts book lists a filter 2525254 as fitting ALL Dodge Plymouth and Chrysler.
That makes no sense to me as 440-6 and Hemi used the 3/8 fuel line, everything else was 5/16 line!
An illustration in the parts book shows a filter between the fuel pump and the steel fuel line on the frame rail but only on the 340 engine. They call the 'sock' a filter as well and the carb filter a 'strainer'.
So I guess to be safe I'd put in a filter right before the fuel pump, as there is room without cutting the steel line. I had a couple of stuck floats back in the day from dirty fuel so I added a filter before the fuel pump on my Cuda that's why I was sure there was no in line filter except the gauge mounted "sock"
Maybe someone else has info we could use. Ken

gwq234

Reaction score
You know what happens when you get old, your memory is the first to go. The parts book lists a filter 2525254 as fitting ALL Dodge Plymouth and Chrysler.
That makes no sense to me as 440-6 and Hemi used the 3/8 fuel line, everything else was 5/16 line!
An illustration in the parts book shows a filter between the fuel pump and the steel fuel line on the frame rail but only on the 340 engine. They call the 'sock' a filter as well and the carb filter a 'strainer'.
So I guess to be safe I'd put in a filter right before the fuel pump, as there is room without cutting the steel line. I had a couple of stuck floats back in the day from dirty fuel so I added a filter before the fuel pump on my Cuda that's why I was sure there was no in line filter except the gauge mounted "sock"
Maybe someone else has info we could use. Ken
Hmm, ok thanks Ken.

Back