• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

question about k member on 70 challenger r/t

hot rust

Reaction score
first off let me say thanks for your help. new to ma mopar and don't know all the details about them and probably never will.but i will try. i ran across 2 challengers today a 74 318 car basket case but complete and a 70 with no paper work or nothing everything burned in a shop fire but basic body shell. guy claims it's a true 44o six pack r/t car .he's the 2nd owner. he explained to me it was a six pack car because of the k member with a skid plate factory installed was only available on these cars, any truth to this? i didn't try to seem too enthused about them at the moment so therefore i didn't try to see a partial vin on the support or trunk area of the 70. it does however have the remains of the r/t stripes. again thanks for your help.

AUSTA

Reaction score
first off let me say thanks for your help. new to ma mopar and don't know all the details about them and probably never will.but i will try. i ran across 2 challengers today a 74 318 car basket case but complete and a 70 with no paper work or nothing everything burned in a shop fire but basic body shell. guy claims it's a true 44o six pack r/t car .he's the 2nd owner. he explained to me it was a six pack car because of the k member with a skid plate factory installed was only available on these cars, any truth to this? i didn't try to seem too enthused about them at the moment so therefore i didn't try to see a partial vin on the support or trunk area of the 70. it does however have the remains of the r/t stripes. again thanks for your help.
I think the TA had them as well
I have 3 the TA has a large tag with # 52 the A66 Rallye tag has #26 & the Standard K frame has no tag at all
All are 340 Engines.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
The 440+6 and the 440 do have the skid plate. All the 70 K-frames I have seen have the tag or coin with the part number on them. The VIN is not found on the trunk area. The VIN on the cowl is a partial VIN and may be enough for you to find the VIN for the car from a registry, etc.

Number location.jpg

Number location.jpg

Last edited:

DetMatt1

Reaction score
The A66 and the T/A were the only 2 ways you could get a 340 in a '70 Challenger so what do you mean by the standard 340 K member?
The numbers Austa is speeking of were stamped on coin sized metal tags that were welded to the forward facing side of the K member just off center on the driver's side.

moparleo

Reaction score
If you are ultimately really wanting to get an opinion on buying a stripped out, possibly fire damaged body with no paperwork. I would pass. Especially some one new to Mopars. It would cost more just in parts, never mind the body and paint, to restore than it would be worth when you are done. No paperwork, non original drivetrain or any other original parts would greatly affect the possible collector value it may have had. There are a million projects out there. You can be picky. I would recommend though that you find a driver first. That way you can enjoy your car now and can upgrade it as time and funds allow. Probably 90% of the people that buy a basket case end up selling it to someone else. Parts to restore a 70-71 Challenger are much more expensive than the typical Mustang or Camaro parts.

AUSTA

Reaction score
The A66 and the T/A were the only 2 ways you could get a 340 in a '70 Challenger so what do you mean by the standard 340 K member?
The numbers Austa is speeking of were stamped on coin sized metal tags that were welded to the forward facing side of the K member just off center on the driver's side.
Cutting a long story short i have 2 TA cars 1 was original 4 speed engine missing all else intact but totally rusted i mean everything. The other TA was an Indiana accident damaged in the late 70's
a replacement K frame was fitted to enable transport of the vehicle it had no engine there is no K frame tag or indication it ever had one.
I thought it may have been from a 318 .Did all E-body K Frames have a tag ?

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Only 1970 K frames have the tag. If you look carefully on the front of any k frame it will have a date stamped into it.

hot rust

Reaction score
guys thanks for the info, mopar leo, wasn't so much worried about building the 70, but maybe selling whats good off it and the 74 for some profit toward another car. the 70 wasn't actually in the fire just everything else that went to it. pretty decent body or at least whats left of it. my main concern was if it was actually a six pack car. i would think if so, it would be worth building and thats what i do for a living so no problems other than the missing parts . i really appreciate all the info thanks

hot rust

Reaction score
less than $1000.00 is what they can be bought for. i haven't pulled the trigger yet but there not going anywhere anytime soon.

Back