• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

R3 "resto" block unboxing

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I thought all the R3 blocks were drilled for 18 head bolts , I guess not ! Cool find after 19 years or did you buy it 19 years ago ?
What heads do you plan to use ?

SassyAAR

Reaction score
Yes it was a find in the back of a warehouse this year, 19 years ago I was working on a GM F body lol. Head wise I was originally thinking of going with the 915 castings I already have but am leaning more toward W2s at the moment.

Rob C

Reaction score
Woo-Hooo! W2’s! From a mild 4bbl. Up to a pair of TQ’s!
Ready to rock!

B834CE51-0C7C-4D39-8C0C-632FFC15057B.jpeg
44A11FCB-05E5-4CC3-B597-4C52A3CFE19A.jpeg
404E041A-8F18-4F8D-94E7-F38EAD92C035.jpeg

SassyAAR

Reaction score
Yes, I think the W2s will offer the best performance value for a factory iron head. I will be limited in intake manifold selection to a dual plane though.

Rob C

Reaction score
Do you have the dual plane already? If not, you may find it hard to obtain one or at least a new one cheaply. Used street single plane Holley Street Dominator can be found for reasonable prices. Same height as the M1 or the Strip Dominator. Just slightly narrower runners.

SassyAAR

Reaction score
I am limited by class rules to dual plane stock type, so LD 340, Perf RPM, or Mopar W2 dual are my only options.

Rob C

Reaction score
I am limited by class rules to dual plane stock type, so LD 340, Perf RPM, or Mopar W2 dual are my only options.
OH! Class rules! I didn’t know. My bad, sorry. Dave’s find is an extraordinary find!!!! That intake is obviously a Weiand Action Plus recast with the oval ports. I have the rectangular port Stealth from Weiand. It is a pretty good manifold. I have heard of people modifying a standard intake to mate to a W2 before but I have not seen the work.
Killer find there Dave. Just in time!

SassyAAR

Reaction score
Yes, I saw that one for sale. That 8015 is the same one the 1998 engine book calls the "maximum torque dual plane" for W5 heads P/N P4529295. It has the heat crossover though and so if I go W2 I will use the M1 dual with no crossover that you can still purchase new. Unless I can find the LD 340 TA I have been looking for, that would be perfect!

davescuda

Reaction score
Yes, I saw that one for sale. That 8015 is the same one the 1998 engine book calls the "maximum torque dual plane" for W5 heads P/N P4529295. It has the heat crossover though and so if I go W2 I will use the M1 dual with no crossover that you can still purchase new. Unless I can find the LD 340 TA I have been looking for, that would be perfect!

You cannot buy any w2 dual Plane new for mopar anywhere

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Check with Roseville Moparts , if there is a new one out there Dave will find it !
I would not even be thinking about it , Go with W2 for sure , no comparison to 915 heads

SassyAAR

Reaction score
Yes exactly, only reason I was even considering it was because the 915s are already sitting on the workbench. Oh well, I guess we will see what if anything shows up in the mail then.

gzig5

Reaction score
The heat crossover is easy enough to block off with a thin SS plate or welding it closed. Is that also restricted by the rules? Curious what circuit and class you are planning to run?

SassyAAR

Reaction score
SVRA B production with this car setup for FIA Group 2 circa 1976. Laguna Seca, Sebring, Road Atlanta, Barber etc. Heat crossover is not mandated.

SassyAAR

Reaction score
No, T/A is limited to 5.0 liters. This will be a stock bore and stroke 340, hence the B production.

Rob C

Reaction score
Is it a T/A motor?
A “T/A” engine in a production car is a 340 CID engine that uses the old “X” race block. While this is a race block, it is labeled a “Resto Block.”
No, T/A is limited to 5.0 liters. This will be a stock bore and stroke 340, hence the B production.
And.... (LOL) it is the “Resto” MP aftermarket block.
These are really nice. An old FABO member tried to install a roller cam and broke through the wall destroying the block.

SassyAAR

Reaction score
I thought Big John was asking about the race class, i.e. would I be building it to vintage Trans Am 5 liter spec. or B production.

Also the production T/A block came before the X. No production car used the X block. The X was introduced in 79 primarily for NASCAR and had improvements over the original production T/A blocks. Both are race blocks of course but with key differences.

Finally, with the 59 degree R3 there are special considerations when installing a roller cam, sounds like that old FABO member didn't follow the instructions.

Rumblefish, why is it funny that this is a "resto" block?

Rob C

Reaction score
Why would you think, I think it is funny? The LOL?
It’s actually there because it is in the thread title.

Back