• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rear deck filler

Cbridgewater

Reaction score
Why are there no seams for a rear deck filler on a convertible challenger? I would like to fill the seams on my hardtop. I have read in some spots that even if you weld the seams they can crack. Thoughts?

Rich G.

Reaction score
I’m guessing for more strength. I see a lot of the lead cracked probably due to body flexing. I can’t see a hard top cracking if you welded it completely.

AUSTA

Reaction score
I completely mig welded mine then hit it with a thin layer of Bondo then dragged a slot into the bondo to imitate the original seam
On another used lead but the paint cracked after a yrear

Adam

Reaction score
B49A6F6C-670E-4FF2-B378-6BF35EAC5F9B.jpeg
When I replaced mine I found on the right side all the factory spot welds had failed where it connects along that seam long ago, evidenced by surface rust on the welds. If you are going to fill or weld that seam make sure the bottom side is still connected; or you could add a couple of tack welds from the bottom... might be hard to reach.

(The cut out was for the window corner)

Cbridgewater

Reaction score
Also, I have the AMD panel in place and it sits a little high. I have trimmed a bit of the edge that sits inside the trunk, and it helped, but not perfect. I’ll take some photos. Need some advice on getting it to sit flush with the quarter.

budascuda

Reaction score
there is an episode of the Graveyard Cars in which they sent the Phantom Cuda to the AMD shop for restoration, one of the best episodes! In that episode Mike Gary himself did the work with another technician, he ran into the same problem with the deck panel sitting higher and the way he dealt with it was to re-curve the panel with a tool that looked like a small edge stretcher. after it was done, even Mike Worman made a comment about how good the panel looked in place.
I think the AMD dutch panel is not as curvaceous as the originals, by stretching the returned lip at the ends of the panel (where it takes the factory spotwelds) you can change the curvature of the panel and that is how that problem is corrected.

Cbridgewater

Reaction score
Can anyone post photos of how flush their deck filler and quarters sit? It fits well at trunk edge, high in the middle, and low at the window edge.

Cbridgewater

Reaction score
there is an episode of the Graveyard Cars in which they sent the Phantom Cuda to the AMD shop for restoration, one of the best episodes! In that episode Mike Gary himself did the work with another technician, he ran into the same problem with the deck panel sitting higher and the way he dealt with it was to re-curve the panel with a tool that looked like a small edge stretcher. after it was done, even Mike Worman made a comment about how good the panel looked in place.
I think the AMD dutch panel is not as curvaceous as the originals, by stretching the returned lip at the ends of the panel (where it takes the factory spotwelds) you can change the curvature of the panel and that is how that problem is corrected.

Would you happen to know the tool? Or the season and episode #?

budascuda

Reaction score
Ok, I went through a few episodes of the first season and couldn't find the clip, BUT, I found something more useful. Here are two videos that are better than the clip I was telling you about.
In these short videos you get to see how the tool works from close up. Apparently Harbor Freight caries them. In your case it looks like the stretcher is the tool you need.
I hope thiis helpful, good luck

IMG_00003365.png

IMG_00003364.png

Last edited:

Cbridgewater

Reaction score
Ok, I went through a few episodes of the first season and couldn't find the clip, BUT, I found something more useful. Here are two videos that are better than the clip I was telling you about.
In these short videos you get to see how the tool works from close up. Apparently Harbor Freight caries them. In your case it looks like the stretcher is the tool you need.
I hope thiis helpful, good luck

View attachment 61276

View attachment 61277

Thank you!

budascuda

Reaction score
Ok, there is only one thing that could settle the score on that question and that is a photo of an nos Dutch panel , or equivalently, pics. from a good used one. I think I might be able to get you close-up pics of an nos panel if you are not in a rush. I have it in storage, but hard to get at at the moment.
But maybe another member can get you one more readily, at any rate I can get you a couple of pics.

Adam

Reaction score
Ok, what about this gap here. This is at the corner or the window channel.

View attachment 61278
I looked at the pics of that area when I removed mine. There was no evidence it was welded that far up/close to the window channel. Just the shitty spotwelds along the side. The factory piece probably had a similar gap to aid in quick assembly, then they probably ran the seam sealer into the corner. The window trim would trap dirt & moisture there.

An easy fix would be to weld a flat piece, of the appropriate width, underneath the window channel to bridge the gap, and grind it to fit; but I don’t think it is structurally necessary because of all the welds along the sides, and across the package tray.

budascuda

Reaction score
Let there be lite!
IMG_00003420.jpg
IMG_00003421.jpg
IMG_00003423.jpg

IMG_00003422.jpg

IMG_00003419.jpg

IMG_00003418.jpg

Sorry if the pics are a bit dark, took them in the evening

rklein71

Reaction score
My deck filler panel was a little off as well. I cut small slits in the flange which allowed a little hand pressure to curve the panel and then welded it in place. Rod

IMG_3266.JPG

Cbridgewater

Reaction score
Ok so I think I got it figured out! If you can notice, the bend at the flange has a highly spot like the stamping wasn’t crisp. Now, lightly hammer the crease tighter?

image.jpg

80032A04-E8F5-4883-9D21-FAD734650C72.jpeg

Back