• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rear end gaskets

TC_Cuda

Reaction score
Greetings all
It has been a long time since my last post ( I was very sick and lost all interest in everything but now I'm way better and back to working on my car )

My problem is when I took my rear end apart it had 2 foam gaskets and 1 steel gasket on each side. I ordered 4 foam gaskets and 2 steel gaskets, but I cant remember where the steel gaskets go and which way they face ( there is raised part on one side ) However any diagram I found only shows the 2 foam gaskets... Am I losing my mind, do I only need the foam ones, where did the steel ones come from. If your not sure what I'm taking about you can look up the steel gaskets at Summit Fel pro # 55032 it has a picture and shows the raised area.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also does anyone have a diagram or a link to a diagram or to a shop manual that might help me?

Thanks in advance

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
steel goes between the backing plate & the housing , foam go between the backing plate & the axle flange , you only need 2 of each .

TC_Cuda

Reaction score
Thank you for the response. When I took it apart it had foam between the backing plate and the housing so I assumed it was needed there but if it only needs the steel one then that's what I will do.

Again thank you for the info

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
If oil was to leak past the inner seal you really want it to oleak between the housing & backing plate rather than into the brakes .

Back