• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rear License Plate Relocation.

money pit

Reaction score
I have a 70 Barracuda. I have a heck of a time putting gas in the car. In So. Calif. we have the vapor recovery on the gas nozzels. I have to have a tight seal or I can't pump the gas. It's almost impossible to get a good seal with the gas filler under the license plate. I can't lift the plate high enough to get a good seal. Does anyone have any suggestions as far as relocating the rear license plate or adjusting the license plate mounting bracket? Thanks.

tonysrt

Reaction score
If you have a Mopar club in your vicinity, maybe they could help you out. In NY we had a big rubber gasket on the nozzle a while ago but they did away with it and have a much smaller one now. I have a 71 Cuda and have no problem with either seal here. Maybe move out of Calif..

money pit

Reaction score
If you have a Mopar club in your vicinity, maybe they could help you out. In NY we had a big rubber gasket on the nozzle a while ago but they did away with it and have a much smaller one now. I have a 71 Cuda and have no problem with either seal here. Maybe move out of Calif..
I wish the gas filler was like the Challenger. When I had a Challenger it wasn't a problem. The rubber seal on the pumps out here are pretty large. I was thinking of making a bracket and mounting the plate on the bumper like on the Challenger. In the mean time I may put the license plate in the rear window. Thanks.

Adam

Reaction score
Maybe fab up a new plate bracket, so the plate opens to the left or right, out of the way. If you make it bolt on, the old one could be swapped back on whenever...

tonysrt

Reaction score
I measured my 71 Cuda and I have approximately 4 1/2" all around tank filler. How big is there seal?

money pit

Reaction score
Maybe fab up a new plate bracket, so the plate opens to the left or right, out of the way. If you make it bolt on, the old one could be swapped back on whenever...
That's an idea. I'll check it out.

money pit

Reaction score
I measured my 71 Cuda and I have approximately 4 1/2" all around tank filler. How big is there seal?
The seal on the pump is a little over 4 in. I tell you it's a fight to get the seal tight enough to pump gas. It's actually easier to use a funnel and a gas can.

tonysrt

Reaction score
Maybe fabricate an extended filler maybe from a piece of exhaust pipe that fits in the original fill tube but has some sort of flange on it to seal the rubber.

money pit

Reaction score
Maybe fabricate an extended filler maybe from a piece of exhaust pipe that fits in the original fill tube but has some sort of flange on it to seal the rubber.
I wonder if a challenger tank would fit. That way I can fill up from the side. Thanks.

tonysrt

Reaction score
I have a transmission funnel with a 5" opening. Go to an auto parts store and see if they have a funnel that might fill your needs.

Wanda73

Reaction score
I had issues with my Challenger with the flip cap in CA too. The nozzles in my area didn't need to seal, they just had to be pushed up for the pump to work. To fuel mine I had to hold the seal back, and just point the nozzle down the pipe. I couldn't do it without getting fuel on me and the car, so my way wasn't the best, but it did work, note auto shutoff of the pump won't work this way either.
Leave it to CA to make a simple task unsafe in the name of emissions.

FC7 Cuda

Reaction score
I have a 70 Cuda and live in Orange County CA and, other than the cost, don't have problems with putting gas in it. I just lift the plate and push the nozzle hard against the filler tube and hold it there while it pumps. I don't fill it up usually just put about 5 gal in it.

money pit

Reaction score
I have a 70 Cuda and live in Orange County CA and, other than the cost, don't have problems with putting gas in it. I just lift the plate and push the nozzle hard against the filler tube and hold it there while it pumps. I don't fill it up usually just put about 5 gal in it.
I do the same thing. I don't fill it up. I really have to twist and turn and push the nozzle in pretty hard and hold it until I can pump the gas. When I had my cuda back in the 70, and didn't have the vapor recovery nozzle, I didn't have this problem. Thanks.

Avalanche

Reaction score

I agree that the best way is to fabricate an in between piece.
I have a challenger and have to listen for when it's full otherwise it overflows onto the paint.

money pit

Reaction score
I agree that the best way is to fabricate an in between piece.
I have a challenger and have to listen for when it's full otherwise it overflows onto the paint.
Thanks. I'm going to check it out this weekend.

Back