• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rear sway bar bushings ?

Jimmer

Reaction score
I'm replacing leaf springs on my 72 340 4 speed Cuda .
So a few questions ?
I see the sway bar bushings were not designed to be replaced ?
What did you use ?
The frame mounts seem to be under coated on ?

Adam

Reaction score
I just used some generic urethane sway bar bushings of the same size...$15 or $20. You will have to drill out/cut the welds to put the new bushings on... The brackets are bolted to the frame from the sides, you should find bolt heads beneath the under coat.

Jimmer

Reaction score
I had already removed the bolts they were just stuck from 40 plus years .
Thanks for the reply !!

Mike73Dodge

Reaction score
Adam

Can you send a link or let me know where you got the bushings. I can't seem to find anything that actually fits in the brackets. I have drilled out the welds and am looking for anything that fits tight on the bar and tight in the bracket.

Thanks

Jimmer

Reaction score
I bought brackets with zerts and bushings from firm feel .
Then I did not use them .
My stock ones look fine .
I think you will have to buy some that are bigger and cut them to make them fit ?
Most everything I have bought for the car has been wrong !
Very frustrating !!!

Mike73Dodge

Reaction score
Thanks Jimmer.
My stock bushings were not useable after 40+ years of abuse. I am doing a complete restoration and need to find something. I looked at both the individual bushings and the bushings that come in with a clamp. All the clamp versions that have the correct bushing ID have a bolt pattern that will not really fit on the frame bracket. Hope Adam come through with some ideas.
I agree Very Frustrating!!!

Adam

Reaction score
I got generic urethane bushings without the brackets, from Summit racing, or Pep boys.
I drilled out the spot welds on the originals, removed the petrified original bushings, then put the new bushings in. Clamp the original brackets with new bushings in place and plug weld up the hole where you drilled out the spot welds. Use a wet rag to cool the welds.

Last edited:

challboy728

Reaction score
I don't know how this will work, but I think I may try it. I ordered some pourable urethane from McMaster Carr. I am going to position the sway bar brackets on the bar, seal off the ends of the brackets and pour in the urethane, using the bracket as a mold. I figure I may grease the sway bar to keep the urethane from sticking to it when it sets up.

I'll post the results when finished.

Back