• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Recommendations needed radiator

YJ_Aaron

Reaction score
Needing to replace my radiator 22" auto Trans in a 383 70 rt.

Planning to add ac in the next year. Any advice on best cooling and fitting product? Assuming I should buy complete kit with shroud and electric fan vs stock fan and shroud?

Also water pump and thermostat work fine but debating replacement while it's apart. Advice on those?

TIA

volunteer

Reaction score
Surprised no responses so far. Your rad support frame should be wide enough to accept a 26 inch size radiator. Two rows of 'high-density' tubes will be sufficient. IF you stay with a 'manual' type fan setup, consider the torque drive hub and full 20 inch (alum.) blade setup (as first used on '74 360 - 4 Bbl. applications.) Condenser will mount to front of rad and tranny cooler next in front. Whatever shroud must fit the rad and be clear of the fan blades. My factory 360 Challenger had this stuff and no issues. Electric fan optional as it is sometimes hard to 'dial-in'.

Iguana

Reaction score
I dont have AC; but my 22" 4 core aluminum Champion with their shroud and electric fan keep my 440 with auto trans cool even in California summer heat. It was a tight fit that required a little shroud modification. I have a stock water pump and Milodon thermostat.

70chall440

Reaction score
I would first measure the opening in the radiator core support and confirm what you have. Then I would search for a radiator matching that size that is designed to be a bolt in. Any of the modern aluminum radiators will work for you, some things to consider;

1. where in the inlet and out let are (make sure they match your engine)
2. where the filler neck is (should be in the center of the tank if you want it to look similar to stock
3. has provisions for the AT lines

Don't get too caught up in all of the marketing hype, most modern radiators have sufficient flow and cooling capability for a stock engine even with AC. That said you have to look at the entire cooling "system" so you need to make sure that you have the right radiator cap, a good shroud, good fan, good water pump, the correct thermostat and good hoses.

You can put in a recirculation system (expansion tank) but you need the right cap for it to work and to be honest I have not had a lot of luck getting them to work on older cars.

Back