• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Refinish recommendations for '70 'cuda Standard Instrument Cluster

RedDog

Reaction score
I recently bought an AAR 'cuda (1970 - of course). I have the standard instrument cluster with textured black finish on the bezels. There are several areas where the finish has worn off, so need to refinish them. Is there a "go-to" spray paint out there that will replicate the texture and color of these bezels?

Last edited:

EW1BH27

Reaction score
I don't think it's the "go-to" but I've used Harley Davidson Wrinkle Paint on my heater and radio panel. Not sure if it's the same "finish" on the gauge & switch bezels but I can't imagine it being different. Kind of finnicky to work with but I did have success (eventually) and it turned out great IMO. It is expensive and there are cheaper wrinkle paints out there but I can't remember what they are.

HD Wrinkle Paint.jpg

pschlosser

Reaction score
The finish on the flat instrument bezels seems like... fine sandpaper to me. The granules (bumps) are very even and match that of a sea salt grinder I use for cooking, yea powdered salt, bad example I guess. I would say 1/10th the size of a grain of sand.

That said, it will probably look repainted no matter what, if you know what the original looks like. But getting it pretty close with a uniform coating will look great, though.

Oh yea, the last time I used some crinkle finish on a air cleaner, it came out somewhat glossy.

heminut

Reaction score
Oh yea, the last time I used some crinkle finish on a air cleaner, it came out somewhat glossy.
You didn't put it on heavy enough. It has to be put on fairly heavy for the wrinkle to take effect. It can be kind of tricky getting it to wrinkle without getting a run. You also can't put it on in high temps, it tends to wrinkle less.

heminut

Reaction score
I don't think it's the "go-to" but I've used Harley Davidson Wrinkle Paint on my heater and radio panel. Not sure if it's the same "finish" on the gauge & switch bezels but I can't imagine it being different. Kind of finnicky to work with but I did have success (eventually) and it turned out great IMO. It is expensive and there are cheaper wrinkle paints out there but I can't remember what they are.
I have used the parts store wrinkle paint on my instrument bezels and it came out great but yes, it can be kind of tricky to use. If you go that route I would recommend doing all the bezels so the texture is the same on all of them.

RedDog

Reaction score
Thanks everybody for your help. I'll be checking out your recommendations.

RedDog

Reaction score
Finoke....Your panel looks good! Looks like proper texture and color. How has it held up over time?

Finoke

Reaction score
Finoke....Your panel looks good! Looks like proper texture and color. How has it held up over time?
I just restored this one but I’ve used the product before and it holds up well. Just remember as with any spray paint it will show any imperfection under it. So either totally remove the old coating or sand and feather well. No primer is needed.

pschlosser

Reaction score
You didn't put it on heavy enough. It has to be put on fairly heavy for the wrinkle to take effect. It can be kind of tricky getting it to wrinkle without getting a run. You also can't put it on in high temps, it tends to wrinkle less.

Thanks @heminut , I liked the wrinkle part of the finish, but I did not like its sheen, its slight reflectivity, and or it's semi-gloss-ness. I'm not sure how to describe it.

Even @Finoke picture in post #8, the texture looks great, but the paint is slightly more reflective than the more matte-looking finish I see on NOS original parts. But the reflectivity I see in his photo may be a flash or lighting artifact.

Last edited:

EW1BH27

Reaction score
That Rustoleum paint looks a lot closer for the upper bezels than the Harley stuff would.

Back