• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Reinstalling 340 and 727 tranny into '71 Challenger

Todd Jackson

Reaction score
Team is there a good video out there that shows reinstalling a 340 and 727 into a 1971 Challenger? I already have the K frame and front end installed. I recall jacking the tranny to pull the old 318....that was 3 years ago LOL.....any tips and tricks are welcome. I saw a lot of stuff on You Tube but not exactly what I was looking for....thanks - Todd

SFEbody

Reaction score
Installing it from under is the best way, Thats how they did from the factory. however, since you have suspension in, It should go in easy enough as butter as long as there are not headers on it... good luck

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Yeah about that. Best why I found to do both at the same time. Have an engine lift? two stout jack stand to catch and hold the car if something goes wrong. Two good floor jacks one on each side with jack stands. raise front wheels off ground a foot or more. somewhere about there. and support with jack stands floor jacks to raise or lower car as needed. Hook up engine and trans so tail stock is at a downward angle. May have to adjust a few time as you have to lift tail stock to clear core support. let tail stock down when behind k frame. ready one of the jacks to raise the tail stock as engine is being lowered. remember as weight on the front it may go down. use 3rd jack stand or 2nd floor jack on k frame. blocking under tires would also help I would keep engine lift on until ready to lower. When I did mine. It was a short block,no heads intake or acc. less weight.My son jack the trany up as I lowered the motor. Be safe and careful.

Todd Jackson

Reaction score
Yeah about that. Best why I found to do both at the same time. Have an engine lift? two stout jack stand to catch and hold the car if something goes wrong. Two good floor jacks one on each side with jack stands. raise front wheels off ground a foot or more. somewhere about there. and support with jack stands floor jacks to raise or lower car as needed. Hook up engine and trans so tail stock is at a downward angle. May have to adjust a few time as you have to lift tail stock to clear core support. let tail stock down when behind k frame. ready one of the jacks to raise the tail stock as engine is being lowered. remember as weight on the front it may go down. use 3rd jack stand or 2nd floor jack on k frame. blocking under tires would also help I would keep engine lift on until ready to lower. When I did mine. It was a short block,no heads intake or acc. less weight.My son jack the trany up as I lowered the motor. Be safe and careful.
Thanks guys. I may bite the bullet and take the front suspension off....sure looks a lot easier and safer.

Finoke

Reaction score
Very easy to install 340 with tranny from the top. Its easiest with the hood off and buy a load leveler for your engine pick. That way you can tilt the entire assembly down to get it under the tunnel then tilt it level again to meet up with the engine mounts and transmission mount.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
It is not hard to split the ball joint & remove the 4 K frame bolts & install from the bottom , it is far easier that way & the engine can go in almost complete , it has been a long time since I attempted install from the top

Todd Jackson

Reaction score
It is not hard to split the ball joint & remove the 4 K frame bolts & install from the bottom , it is far easier that way & the engine can go in almost complete , it has been a long time since I attempted install from the top
thanks gang - I am sold to go at it from underneath. I do have a hoist. Everything is new and will turn easy....gives me a chance to touch up anything on the frame.....

ph23vo

Reaction score
JUST DID MINE..WENT IN EASY TOOK 15 MINUTES WITH JUST ME...WRAP A TOWELL AROUND THE TRANS

AND LET IT SLIDE ALONG THE TUNNEL...EASY

Todd Jackson

Reaction score
JUST DID MINE..WENT IN EASY TOOK 15 MINUTES WITH JUST ME...WRAP A TOWELL AROUND THE TRANS

AND LET IT SLIDE ALONG THE TUNNEL...EASY
SOLD! Thanks for talking sense into me....now I just need the beast back from paint....

Back