• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Removing steering box

omegac1

Reaction score
I have a 1973 with power steer that I am installing a firm feel steering box. Car is new to me so I am just learning all the "tricks". I can not get the roll pin out from the column to steering box coupler. Which side do you drive it out from?

jay68383

Reaction score
I had to remove my steering column several years ago, and getting it out was a horror show. The point of contention was the coupler, I got the pin out, but the coupler would not come free..I actually used a sawzall to cut the coupler box up, I was advised that an oxygen wrench would cook the seals in the chuck.

If you get that far in replacement, there is a stamped steel cover at the end of the column and on top of the coupler box that supposedly crimps over the box to hold in the shoes and seal.

Since mine kept coming off I spun it around and tacked it with my mig on each side, end of that story.

michael

Reaction score
When I replaced my steering box the pin was nothing compared to the coupler. I used mass qualities of wd40 and creative words and a hammer to separate the two. Good luck.

Back